Chapter 19

HEATHER’S POV

2 Months Later

            The creek of the floorboards outside my door startled me. I turned my gaze to the clock on my nightstand, squinting my eyes so I could read the glowing, red numbers. Why would anyone be up now? I wondered, realizing that it was only 5:30 a.m. Despite the fact that I’d been up for and hour and a half, I never expected anyone else to.

            I shrugged off the though, assuming that Andy or Ashley just needed to use the bathroom, and returned my eyes to the bathroom mirror. I glared at my reflection, as I studied my bare scalp. Yes, you heard me… bare. About a month earlier, I’d lost the last of my hair. I suppose you could say I still wasn’t over it. “I look ridiculous.” I scolded myself, looking myself up and down. It was true though… I looked horrible. I was boney, pale, and not to mention bald. I looked like a skeleton. As tired as I was, I was determined to figure out a way t make me pretty again.

            I reached hazily into my pink, makeup bag and pulled out my eyeliner. Maybe if I do a lot of eye makeup, no one’ll notice how ugly I am. I told myself, although I knew it was hopeless. Vigorously, I began to apply my eyeliner.

            “Heather what are you doing?” A tired voice startled me, causing me to mess up and draw a big black line up my eyelid. I looked behind me in the mirror and saw Ashley, rubbing his eye tiredly. “What are you doing up so early?” He asked, squinting his eyes to adjust to the light.

            Quickly, yet shakily, I put away my makeup and turned around. “Well I…umm…” I began, trying to figure out what to say.

            “Why were you doing makeup?” He asked, licking his thumb and smearing away the eyeliner. I began to shake and I couldn’t keep my eye contact with Ashley, without crying. He took my head softly in his strong hands and looked lovingly at me. “You can tell me Heather. I promise.” He soothed.

            I removed his hands from my face, but wouldn’t let go of them. “I was trying to make myself beautiful again… ya’know so you wouldn’t leave me.” I admitted ashamed, looking down as our hands. His were so much larger than my small frail ones, making me even more aware of my current condition.

            “Oh Heather…” Ashley sighed, wrapping his muscular arms around me. “How many times do I have to tell you that you’re beautiful before you’ll believe me?” He asked, as I rested my tired chin on his shoulder.

            “Well obviously it’s not getting through because I still feel like shit.” I laughed, sniffing back a tear.

            Ashley took my small hand and turned off the bathroom light. “Come on.” He said, leading me back into my room. “You’re exhausted and you need sleep.” He threw over my red covers, allowing me to slide into bed. As soon as I was comfortable, he folded the covers back over me. “Goodnight.” He said lovingly, kissing me lightly on the lips.

            As he began to walk away, I quickly grabbed his hand. “Wait.” I said, with a light blush on my cheeks. “Please don’t go.” I begged, looking up at him.

            A smile formed on his perfect lips and he nodded, with a light chuckle. “Never.” He promised, sliding in next to me. I nuzzled my head into his warm chest and he wrapped his arms around my waist. I felt safe and I felt loved, but most of all I felt beautiful.