shatter-bottle syndrome

dan's dad stumbled forward into the light illuminating the small doorway. 

"what do you think you're doing?" 

he reeked of liquor and smoke. the smells of dan's childhood he'd grown to despise.

"i was just coming home, father."
"from the police station?" 

dan curled his hands into fists. his father's calmness was very strange and out of character. if this had been in their old neighbourhood the neighbour's would certainly have heard the splintering shatter of glass then a strangled cry of pain. the people in dan's class learned to stop asking about his sudden injuries. 

"how. how did you know?"
"know that you and that boy snuck some of my alcohol to a prohibited area and later illegally snuck out of prison?" 
"i can explain-"  

crack  

dan dodged the airborne bottle swiftly but could still feel the shards raining down on his arm. his dad had fury blazing in his dark eyes. his face slowly turned red, his breathing shortened. 

swung again. 

and he didn't miss. 

the bottle sailed through the air before shattering on the back of his son's head. 

dan fell to the ground, feeling the blood forming then spilling down his neck. his dad cackled and retreated from the room to probably find more alcohol. 

"i don't want you hanging around with him. if you knew any better you'd break things off now. understood?" 

dan just groaned in return. if his mother didn't get home soon then his injury could be fatal. the blood trickled down his face like red tears.       

"yes, father."