heartbreak habits

the letters kept coming. never stopping. each admiration was paired with a piece of advice of a compliment. like:

12. how you get huffy when you're wrong. lighten up.

or

8. how you stare at birds when you're lonely. just ask for company sometime.

dan had began collecting them in a pastel blue star patterned shoe box phil generously donated. the whole thing was what phil had suggested.

"keep them as a memento. maybe one of the only keepsakes you'll ever have left of your admirer."

dan nudged the box under his bed with the toe of his shoe. phil was slumped by his window, folding sticks of gum into his mouth and whimsically blowing large neon pink bubbles.

his cherry blossom crown was tilted sideways, gravity was the only thing balancing it on phil's head. dan was sidetracked. he let his gaze fall onto a nearby sparrow, hopping silently from the branches of the tree separating both houses.

"hey!"

dan fell out his trance, drowsily blinking at the suddenly noisy brit.

"what?"
"you weren't listening were you?"
"i was."
"liar. i saw you watching that bird."

dan guiltily looked down at his lap, absentmindedly twiddling his thumbs. phil cleared his throat.

"what i was announcing was the fact my tutor is wanting me to choose a career course and i've chosen two. so i need your help deciding."
"hit me."
"astrologist or therapist?"
"therapy? i didn't know you were into that."
"i just like the thought of helping troubled kids."
"well. astrology seems to be your calling."

phil nodded in agreement before picking up his mug. a small porcelain mint green mug with small white dots patterned in vertical lines. wisps of steam poured over the edges and spiralled into the air.

dan nuzzled into his scarf as phil cautiously blew into the cup, scattering the white swirls.

phil looked at dan hopefully.

"would you like some?"
"what even is it?"
"hot chocolate. i still have a lot more."

dan nodded as phil held out his steaming cup of hot chocolate. dan accepted it and carefully brought it up to his lips.

the sweetness of it was almost sickly. obviously phil would've loved it. he seemed to have a strict diet of sugary foods, snacks and candy.

nonetheless dan continued to sip the rich beverage as he resurrected the subject of a bucket list.

"so. our bucket list."
"ah. how foolish of me to forget."

phil peeled a yellow flower shaped sticky note from a stack and retrieved a pink pen with fluffy feather topper from his desk.

he jotted a quick title and continued to bullet point their first quest, second then finally all 10.

dan + phil's bucket list

1. first kiss
2. get drunk
3.waltz with somebody in the rain
4.first heartbreak
5. visit the stars
6. get married / propose
7. fall in love
8. adopt a pet
9. raise a tree sapling
10. change someone's life

phil threw his pen back into its metal pot before spitting out his gum.

"we have our finalised list."
"how many of these do you think we'll get done?"
"i think i could complete them all this year."

phil jutted his jaw out matter-of-factly, his flower crown falling into his line of vision. dan snorted and jabbed a finger into the air near phil.

"you think you can fall in love, get married and have a heartbreak this year?"
"i do."
"it's october."
"well then let's start the things we can accomplish together!"

dan handed back the cup and crossed his legs. phil adjusted his flower crown and whistled like a cartoon bird.

"let's see. things to do together."
"we can adopt a pet."

phil snapped his fingers and smiled a 100 watt smile. he scanned his surroundings and made a tutting noise. dan looked painfully confused.

"what are you doing?"
"finding that stray cat."
"the one that made us meet?"
"yes!"

after a few minutes of tutting and kissy noises the midnight black cat finally hopped onto the ochre branch of the large chestnut tree.

phil beckoned it with his finger, almost hypnotically drawing it in. she curled onto his lap, raking her sharp claws over his shorts a few times.

"she's beautiful, kitty boy."
"i suppose."
"do you have a name in mind?" "definitely."

at the same time phil and dan unfolded their fingers in a countdown motion. once on one the boys both blurted out their chosen names.

"shadow!"
"star!"

silence. then laughter. the merry laughter of two boys enjoying the bittersweet sharing process.

phil cut his chuckles so he could gently peck the cats ear.

"her name is star."
"well i'm calling her shadow."
"star doesn't appreciate your tone." "shadow doesn't appreciate your kisses."

phil's hand flew to his chest as if he has been tragically offended, his ocean blue eyes sank at the creased edges as he sucked in an exasperated gasp.

"i am offended."
"so you should be."
"despite our small bicker this is a big occasion. our first score in the list."
"huh. so it is."

"do you want to mark off another tomorrow?"
"depends what you mean."
"i was thinking we could plant a sapling at our place."
"sure. you got a sapling?"
"blossom."
"well let's do it tomorrow."
"let's."

"night kitty boy."
"night star boy."