Chapter Thirty Six(v2)

Chapter Thirty Six

The Feather in the Hat

            “Rafe escaped?” Cedric exclaimed. “How?”

            Ghost made an irritated click with his tongue, then dragged Cedric down a tunnel and into the room Rafe was kept in. The bars were twisted to create a hole. A guard was on the ground near his chair, his eyes lifeless.

            Cedric stared into those empty eyes with horror. “I didn’t know Rafe could weave like this.” Cedric murmured in a mixture of awe and horror. From the servant’s ring, Cedric had concluded that Rafe’s weaving was extremely minimal.

            “Neither did the guard. Poor fool didn’t have a chance.”

            It was then that Cedric recalled that the king had souled Rafe another time since he had touched the servants ring. It was rational to think Rafe’s magic grew. Cedric groaned.

            “We underestimated him.”

            Ghost ran a hand through his light hair. “I don’t know what the fuck I’m going to do. Rafe’s going to come back to the Sanctuary. And he’s going to bring an army. I don’t know what to do. Should we run or should we fight? If we stand our ground, then they may overwhelm us. If we run, they might pick us off as we leave.”

            “Are you sure that Rafe made it to the surface world?”

            “We can’t be sure that he escaped the Sanctuary, but it’s plausible. We don’t even know how long ago he escaped. And if he did make it to the surface, we’re in deep shit.” Ghost groaned. “I suppose the only way is to let the rogues choose to defend the Sanctuary or run. I can’t keep them here knowing they may be trapped.”

            “But won’t they all just leave?”

            “You’d be surprised how loyal they are to the Sanctuary. This is their home.”

            “Shouldn’t we get the women and children out of here?”

            “When it comes to rogues, every woman, child, and man looks after themselves. Only the strong can survive and that goes for everyone. Here, if you give a woman an axe and a crowd of soldiers, she would hack at that crowd so savagely you would swear you were looking at a warrior. I have to go now. Find the Magician’s Skat and make sure they leave. This isn’t their battle.”

            Cedric nodded once, and Ghost ran away at full speed, stopping everyone he passed to give them the new instructions.

            Cedric looked back at the scene of Rafe’s escape, and at the man’s corpse. If Rafe really did come back with an army, there might be many more like this. Then, Cedric ran too, to find the Magician’s Skat and figure out how they were going to handle this.

            He was just with Jayson a little bit ago, but now he couldn’t seem to find him. Damn it! Cedric cursed. Where is he? Just then he spotted Rosaline.

            “Rosaline!” Cedric shouted. “Did you hear about Rafe?” then he remembered that Rosaline was a guard. Of course she heard about Rafe’s escape.

            “The guards have orders to search the area!” Rosaline yelled back.  

            “Rosaline, we have to find Jayson.” Cedric argued. “You’re a member of the Magician’s Skat first, remember?”