Chapter Six(v2)

Chapter Six

Hiding

Cedric's eyes shot open in an instinctive panic, but when he looked around he realized within seconds that he was in no danger. Out of the castle's clutches. Jack came up from behind him.

"I didn't want to wake you." He commented.

Cedric rose from the sofa and silently looked out the window. Although it was only morning, the crowd outside swelled with numbers, and life was in full motion.

"You should see all the soldiers out there. Jack said smiling. "You'd think they were searching for a murderer."

 Cedric watched a small brigade of uniformed men push past people on the street. The soldiers looked different than the guards in the castle, wearing blue uniforms and a hat atop their heads. Unlike the gaurds, they belonged to the militia. "They're really searching that hard for us?"

"You bet. Which is why we need to get out of here quick. I picked up some food that should last us for a while, but I need your help to choose other objects that we may need."

Cedric nodded, happy to assist. He quickly found himself pleased to have Jack along, for only now was he realizing how difficult surviving in the outside world would be, and had no idea what sort of supplies they'd need to stay alive. Jack, as a future general, was the expert of survival.

"Here," Jack told him, handing him a shirt and pants, "you'll blend in better with these."

Cedric noticed now that Jack lacked the fine jacket and shirt with a frilly collar that he normally wore. Usually it was impossible to mistake Jack for anything but the duke's son. Somehow, however, these garbs suited him better. He found himself giddy toward his own worn clothing items. Throughout his entire life, Cedric was marked as a servant simply due to the quality of clothes he wore. Now at first glance no-one would be able to tell him from those  around him. Cedric quickly pulled on his plain brown pants and shirt. They were the simple clothes of a traveler. Jack held out some gloves when he was done.

"To hide your mark." He explained.

Cedric was more than happy to oblige.

Outside the tavern, Cedric looked up at the castle. It looked welcoming, warm, and graceful, like a heaven amongst the chaos and difficulties of the world. It was no wonder why the people of Yashu hated all people from the castle, even the servants. Cedric knew what life was really like there, yet he couldn't help but imagine a lavish lifestyle for the people that were 'lucky' enough to be drafted. Surely no upper in such a paradise could be unpleasant  toward even the servants. Cedric smiled at his foolishness, and the rest of Yashu's foolishness. They were staring at the outside of a nightmare, and assumed was anything but.

"Do you think you would prefer a pistol? It would be best if we could choose a weapon that could easily be concealed." Jack asked casually.

"Wait, what?" Cedric asked, suddenly noticing that Jack was speaking with what looked like an untrustworthy individual and offering a small gun to Cedric. "I don't need a gun."

Jack smiled pleasantly at the man who was selling the guns. "Could you excuse us for a second." Then he grabbed Cedric's arm and pulled him away. "Are you kidding? Of course you need a gun."

"I have my magic, remember?"

"You can only control people if you're touching them right? Then what happens when a man is several yards away and has a gun aimed at your face? Unless your magic also includes super speed, it won't do you a bit of good."

Cedric bit his lip. Until now he hadn't even thought that he'd have to kill someone, and the idea scared him. He always thought that with his magic, he had the ability to disable an opponent without actually harming them. Although what Jack said made sense, he had to admit, he still couldn't bring himself to desire the weapon.