Chapter Twelve(v2)

Chapter Twelve

Complications

            “Is he gone?” Sara asked from the kitchen.

            “He is.” Jack replied before his eyes snapped to Cedric, as Cedric had let a little moan of pain escape his chest.

            “What’s wrong?”

Cedric was gingerly touching his ankle. “It’s sprained.” Cedric explained.

“You didn’t tell me you’re hurt!” Sara yelled. She brought out some ice for Cedric to numb his leg. The soothing relief was delicious.

“Thank you.”

Sara smiled.

“Why were you even outside?” Jack asked, just a little frustrated.

“I was trying to find you.” Cedric lowered his voice. “We need to leave. Now.”

“I suppose that’s best.” Jack pondered. “But you can’t on that leg.”

“Just give it a day.” Cedric informed him. “It will look better tomorrow.”

Jack sighed. “I suppose that’s all we can do. Take it easy then, and maybe it will improve.”

Cedric laid on the couch, bored yet tired. He might as well get some sleep, though it was difficult with the throbbing in his ankle. Cedric stared at the ceiling, making pictures out of the various little marks, then closed his eyes. He cursed his own stupidity for hurting his leg. They could be running away from Avalon right now if it wasn’t for him, and now Clyde would soon know where he was hiding. He could break in at any moment with those sharp teeth. They didn’t have time for this kind of lagging.

When Cedric opened his eyes everything was fuzzy. His head felt hot, feverish, as though it was the middle of a hot summer. There was a bright light above him. A hand touched his forehead. Cedric thought it was Sara but it was Jack that spoke. 

            “He has a fever.” He said something more but Cedric couldn’t understand him. “Yes. His ankle is swollen.”

            Cedric could barely sense Jack’s black shape floating above him. Then the shape became an indistinguishable blur and Cedric lost all feeling.

            Cedric awoke to a knocking noise. He could hear voices.

            “You again?” This was Jack’s voice.

            There were mutters.

            “He looks bad.” Someone commented. They were standing over Cedric, staring at him with unwavering stares. Strange-that sounded like Lance. Cedric must be hallucinating.

            “I have something that will help.” The same voice said, the one that sounded like Lance.

            “What is it?” Jack asked, then after a few seconds let out a breath.

            “I was afraid something like this would happen-that’s why I brought it. He should take it.”

            “I…alright. Fine.” Jack’s voice dropped to a whisper. “But if that kills him, or makes him worse in any way, I’m going to march back to the castle, and become the duke’s son once again just so I can order your execution.”

            “Consider it a deal.” His voice was wound tightly.

            There was silence.