Chapter Five(v2)

Chapter Five

The Art of Escape

The first few streaks of sunlight struck the windows of the castle and poured warmly into the hallways as Cedric walked briskly with a smirk but a look of concern on his face. He tried to keep his gait swift but unremarkable, to avoid unwanted attention. Luckily there weren't many that knew his face. The castle was, for the most part, devoid of alert life. The castle slumbered on as Cedric made his quick escape. He wasn't sure how long Rafe would be in his disturbing state, whether it would be hours, minutes, or even if he would die, but the faster he moved, the less likely he would be caught. Cedric knew exactly where he was going to go. It was the only place in the castle no-one was aware of. He and Emily found it one day while they were playing, and had sworn to keep the secret among themselves. Cedric was confident that no-one knew about their secret place, for all kept away from where this hiding spot was. Cedric's face lifted to the sky as he walked outside. The feeling was absolutely amazing after being in that cell for so unbearably long. Cedric, after being in that tiny cell for so long, now had no walls in front of him or to the sides. Everything was open, on a grand scale. The freedom of simply being out of that cage made his heart rush with joy. The crowning sun hit his face and soaked through his skin. Cedric shivered with pleasure.  

Spotting a guard in his peripheral vision, Cedric quickly ducked down, just in time. He needed to be more careful. He held his breath as he studied a guard's face. He looked tired. The guard looked his way and that, examining the garden. After a moment he strolled away. Cedric rose again and ran, his nerves overtaking common sense. His hiding place was so close; he wanted to have shelter and not have to worry about getting caught any more. Cedric stopped running once he was behind the king's courtyard, slowing his pace down to a stroll. Where he was headed, anything faster than an amble was cause for suspicion. Eventually headstones came into view as Cedric neared the edge of the castle's massive property. The sun seemed dimmer here, and the grass was perhaps just a bit less green. But that was probably just Cedric's imagination. Cedric touched headstones lightly as he passed them, almost to assure the lingering spirits that he meant no harm. Cedric found a particular slab of black stone that lay on the ground flatly like a piece of paper molded into the earth. Cedric only know one fact about this grave stone. It was King Henry's. You're going to help me out of a jam. Cedric thought fondly. He had a feeling that King Henry was the type of person that would assist him without question. With firm hands Cedric gripped the sides of the stone and lifted. The slab released its hold from the ground to reveal a staircase under it. Ok. So he knew two facts about the grave marker. And this was about to prove to be invaluable.  

On a stair was an oil lamp from the last time Cedric had gone down there. He eased himself onto the stairs, grabbed his lamp and lit it. It glowed into life sullenly, flickering against the stone walls. Cedric bit his lip, and without pausing to think reached over and closed the lid to the crypt. Shadows leapt off the walls and slithered below his feet as he made his way down the stairs. Cedric was hit once again with a claustrophobic feeling, but he immediately silenced it. Now was the time to keep a clear head, not panic. His hands were trembling, and he bit the inside of his lip in fear. The tunnel exuded a shivering creepiness, one that partially made Cedric want to go back and face the soldiers. But here, he knew, was safer as long as he braved the prickle on the back of his neck and his heart beating wildly. He put his hand on the wall beside him, to make sure he wouldn't slip and break his neck. The steps were steep and he could imagine doing that in his slightly panicked state. But he took his hand back as it absorbed alien information about the earth and what was happening above it. Cedric's newfound abilities were starting to unnerve him. It was too strange. Cedric descended down to the bottom of the stairs and raised his lamp to peer around. The room was extremely confining, with cement walls that seemed close in around a casket in the center of the room, also encased it cement. He shivered once, eyes on the casket. He hoped King Henry was alright with him staying here. He really had enough to deal with without an angry ghost. Cedric huddled on the floor in the corner, sighing. He would stay here, at least until nightfall. The thought of being in a drearily small room again made Cedric's heart melt, but at least now he had control over his own fate. If he wanted to, he could leave, and that was enough to comfort him.