Chapter Twenty One(v2)

Chapter Twenty One

Simon the Lost Son

In the morning, Cedric was gently shaken awake by Jayson, and they swiftly split up. Soldiers were looking for Cedric and Rosaline, so they departed together to grab their horses and meet outside the town. The soldiers weren't aware of Jayson's, Akeem's, and Ghost's existence, so they left with the caravan, Ghost and Akeem on horses (Akeem's was brown and Ghost's was a black Clydesdale) and Jayson steering the mobile caravan. Rosaline retrieved Pinto Bean, and Cedric got Sky back once again. They mounted without a word, and rushed away from Caroline as fast as they could. There would be little to no soldiers on the road to Yashu, so once they passed the farms they could join the rest of the Skat once again. Rosaline and Cedric didn't speak the for part of the time, for Cedric was at the same time too focused and too tired to talk. Rosaline seemed to sense Cedric's confusion, for she kept quiet as well.  

"I can't believe I'm really doing this." Cedric laughed abruptly, ending their period of silence. "I wonder if I'll run into Rafe."  

"We'll give him a piece of our mind if we do." Rosaline promised.  

"I wish Jack was here."  

"I'm sorry he's not."  

"This just wasn't his path I suppose."  

"And it's yours?"  

"I'm not sure. It seems unnatural right now. But I don't have a choice-I've already joined, haven't I?"  

"You could always run after we've rescued your friend. We can't cage you."  

"I'd feel awful if I ran away from my promise. I'd probably just get nightmares again, and I'd rather not go down that path."  

Rosaline shrugged, and stared straight forward, leaving the conversation. After a couple of hours, Cedric and Rosaline could see the caravan ahead of them in the distance. Cedric's face flashed in happiness for some reason, and urged Sky into a swift run. Rosaline followed after, though her run was only to keep up. The farms slowly left their presence, and Cedric found himself in solid nature once again, with the grass to his left, and forest to his right. It was marvelous, yet somewhat alien. His hair trailed in a slight breeze made into a vigorous wind by the speed of his horse.  

Cedric fell into line somewhat behind the caravan, and Rosaline settled to its right front. The horse relaxed into a steady rhythm, and Cedric felt himself follow that rhythm. It was the rhythm of life, of nature, a beat that was so much slower than the hurried clopping of horses in the city. Cedric lost himself in that tempo, and in his thoughts. They were much more peaceful now that he was on his way to Yashu. It was a relief, yet nervousness also clutched Cedric’s heart. He knew he needed to go back, but at the same time he didn’t want to.

When he was aware of the world again, Jayson was beside him, watching him, not intently, but almost apprehensively. Cedric stole a look at Jayson, which Jayson responded with a smile. Then the smile faltered for a moment, and he lowered his gaze.  

"Is something wrong?" Cedric asked conversationally.  

"There's something I wanted to ask you about." Jayson admitted.  

"Shoot." Cedric invited.  

Jayson paused for a moment, then another. Cedric waited patiently, until Jayson found his voice. "You worked in the castle?" he asked Cedric.  

Cedric wasn't sure if this was the question he actually wanted answered, but he responded anyway. "Yes."  

Jayson swallowed, and closed his eyes. After some time he opened them again. "Do you know the servants that work in the castle?"