31 - Say goodbye to the hipster beard.

Two weeks later.

"Where the hell have you two been this weekend? You guys bounced yesterday before I even got the chance to ask what you were doing after the game, and neither of you have answered my calls today."

Jet had gone to visit with his parents for the weekend, and I was seriously struggling with the lack of company, especially considering these two had been avoiding me for some reason.

"Sorry, mate. We had some things we needed to do. We're here now, though?" Tanner offered with a wry smile, as if that was going to make up for their neglect this weekend. "What time is Jet coming home?"

"He should be back soon," I said, looking at my watch to check the time. "What were you guys doing all weekend? Baby or wedding?" It was usually one of the two nowadays.

"Yeah, kind of," Tanner replied vaguely.

"Kind of? You went out, and you don't know what for?"

"Yeah, well . . . I mean, it turned out to be research for a bit of both in the end."

"You're not making any sense. Babies and weddings are not remotely similar. What's going on?"

Tanner grinned at me. "Baby brain, dude. It's contagious."

"You can't even use that as an excuse yet. She isn't even born! And you've been too happy this past week. I don't understand it, and it's creeping me out."

"Not long to go now, though." Tanner was smirking at me excitedly, but in a way that was different to his usual baby or marriage way. It was seriously creeping me out.

"This is what I mean, man. What is with the suss Joker grin?" I said, pointing to said Heath Ledger, painted, almost manic expression on his face. I haven't seen him smile like this in years.

Jet walked in the front door before Tanner had a chance to offer up an explanation for his weirdness. "Helloooo, family. How is everyone?" Was everyone just unnaturally happy today?

"Have a good weekend, mate?" asked Tanner, clapping and shaking his hand.

"Yeah, wasn't too bad. No crack . . . so, that's always a positive," he said cheerily, walking over to where I was cooking in the kitchen and giving me a hug hello. "What did you do this weekend?"

"Nothing . . . considering my friends neglected and ignored me all weekend," I sulked, stirring the pasta sauce I was working on.

"Oh, shut up, Ruben! We were busy doing some seriously important shit, trust me," said Morgan, finally emerging from the downstairs bathroom. She ran straight in there as soon as she got through the front door. Pregnancy was kicking her bladder's ass. "Hey, handsome," she said sweetly to Jet, completely shifting her tone when she turned to speak to him, hugging him against her side considering the tiny human inside her wasn't so tiny anymore, and she had difficulty reaching people if she tried to hug them directly in front of her. "How was your weekend?"

"It was easy enough. Happy to be home, though. So, what are we having?"

"I'd say an incredibly underwhelming pasta by the way Ruben had been bitching and moaning for the last ten minutes. He's putting some seriously negative vibes into our food, Jet," Morgan replied, smirking at me just like her soon-to-be husband. I hate you both.

"You're lucky you're pregnant and I'm wise enough not to fight you right now," I said, restraining myself from flipping her off right then and there.

"So . . . if I were to say you needed a haircut, you wouldn't argue me on it?" she countered.

"What the hell does my hair have to do with anything?"