DAY 3: Ski Lift

alright we've got Beccathebestest in the hizouse dropping those cute ass beats about our fave boys- enjoy!

---

Connor didn't hate skiing. He actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It was very therapeutic for him– racing down the hill, the wind in his face, imagining leaving all of his problems on the top of the hill behind him.

No, Connor didn't hate skiing. However, he hated heights. The ski lift was the most stressful place in the world to him, but it was always worth it. He usually just closed his eyes and anticipated sliding down the hill.

As they usually did, Connor's family, excluding Larry because of a last-minute business trip, headed to Amesforte Ski Resort for winter break. Although spending time with his family could be hell, everyone got along better during the holidays, making the trip much easier. Connor and Zoe would often race down the hill together, laughing and teasing each other playfully. Most of the good pictures of the family were from this trip. So Connor was happy and smiling as he stood in line to get on the ski lift for the Golden Peak slope. And as he turned around to avoid the sun's glare, he came face to face with Evan Hansen.

Of course, he knew who Evan Hansen was. Though most people didn't notice him, Connor had been fascinated with the boy since his failed speech on Daisy Buchanan in eleventh grade. He'd seen a lot of himself in Evan: the anxiety, the fear of judgment, the loneliness.

He'd noticed a lot of things about Evan. He noticed the boy had a fondness for trees. He noticed the boy was actually quite witty but was usually too worried to say anything. He noticed that Evan paid attention to things as well; the way he would smirk at a joke Connor made that no one else heard, or the way he would mumble "Happy Birthday" to pretty much everyone on their birthday, even if no one heard him.

He also noticed that Evan was very attractive. Once he realized this, he couldn't revoke the thought. He had developed feelings for Evan, despite having only had a few class-prompted conversations with him. And now here Evan was, looking adorably small in a big puffy coat, his cheeks and nose pink from the cold.

"Uh...hi, Connor."

"Hey, Evan," he said awkwardly. "Is this, uh, your first time here?"

"Uh, yeah...My mom's girlfriend, uh, brought us here for their anniversary." And indeed, behind Evan, Heidi was holding another woman's hand and leaning on her shoulder.

"Oh, that's cool."

"Yeah..."

"Cool..." Connor said before quickly turning around out of embarrassment.

As they made their way to the front of the line, Connor realized he and Evan would be sitting together on the ski lift. It was two to a seat, and his mom and Zoe were going to ride together. And Heidi was most likely going to sit with her partner. So now Connor had to mentally prepare himself for the height of the ski lift and for sitting in a small seat next to Evan. Great.

As Connor settled in his seat, he felt Evan shift and sit next to him.

"Um, hi again," Evan said.

"Hey," Connor replied, looking away from him. As the ski lift started to move, he closed his eyes so he wouldn't panic. The two sat in awkward silence as they moved higher and higher.

Suddenly, about halfway up the mountain, the lift jolted to a stop. Connor's eyes shot open.

"Attention everyone," a loudspeaker announced. "Please remain calm. We are having technical difficulties with the Golden Peak slope ski lift. Stay in your seats, and we'll have you moving as soon as possible."

Connor's heart dropped. Dear god, he was stuck. In the air. He was going to die. His breathing became uneven as the height of the seat registered in his mind. He tried as hard as he could to not look down, but in a moment of desperation, he glanced down just to be faced with the icy peaks below him.

"Connor? Are... uh... are you okay?"

Connor took a deep breath and looked at his shaking hands."I-I'm fine, just...distract me."

"What?"

"I don't know, just fucking distract me before I have a fucking panic attack."

Evan nodded rapidly. "O-Okay, um...over the summer I worked as an apprentice ranger at Ellison Park and this one day there was this squirrel that chased this little girl around and she..."

Connor listened to Evan as the words started to fade away into a calm blur. His hands stilled, his breathing became even, and he was able to focus more on the boy next to him than the fact that he was dangling over 50 feet above the ground. Without thinking he reached for Evan's hand, blushing as he felt the boy squeeze tight. He didn't dare look at Evan, who's cheeks were pink from more than the cold.

"...and that was the third time I had to get a child down from a tree. I'm really sorry Connor, I can't think of anything else to say."

"It's okay, I think I'm-" Connor was cut off as the bench suddenly jolted forward slightly, sending him into an instant state of panic. His breathing hitched as his grip on Evan's hand tightened. Evan's voice became muffled and Connor couldn't focus on any of the words he was saying.

As he looked down the ground dotted with trees began to blur into a white blanket with blurred spots of green. He was vaguely aware that Evan was currently tugging on his hand trying to get his attention, but he was too inside his head to respond. I'm going to die I'm going to die I'm going to die I'm going to-

He suddenly felt something soft and warm on his lips. He was shocked back into reality as Evan placed a hand on his neck, and he started to kiss back. He quickly forgot where he was and his panic faded away. He focused on Evan's lips and Evan's breath and the way his thumb slowly brushed his neck. Connor was surprised that Evan was so steady, as his general aura was a nervous ball of energy.

As they pulled away, Evan couldn't look at Connor, his cheeks a vibrant red. Connor chuckled awkwardly, scratching his neck as fireworks went off in his head.. The lift suddenly started to move, and Evan grabbed Connor's hand before he could panic. They continued to sit in silence, hands intertwined, as the ski lift brought them to the top of the mountains. They quickly released their hands as they saw their families, and separated to ski down the mountain.

As they reached the bottom- Evan with his mom and her girlfriend and Connor with his mom and Zoe- they slowly and clumsily made their way over to each other, grins on their faces.

"So..." Evan started.

"So..."

"Do you want to go up with me again?"

"Absolutely not." Evan laughed, and the two stood in silence for a second.

"I, uh...I heard the food court has really good hot chocolate," Evan said.

"Really?"

"Yeah...Do you wanna maybe get some with me?"

"Absolutely."

---

hope you enjoyed! check back tomorrow for day 4 and make sure to go give Beccathebestest some love!!