Love with a bite VII

Loki is stretched out on the couch; one arm behind his head, the other holding up the book he is reading. He is halfway I.M. Georges' newest book, called 'In times of need'. Told from the point of view of a kitchen help of a wealthy family in nineteenth century London it is not as recognisable for Loki as 'The backstreets of London' was, yet it still has him reading with vivid attention. In fact, he is so engrossed in his book that he only notices Fandral when the vampire pushes Loki's feet to the side to flop down on the far end of the couch. Loki gives him a deadly stare, annoyed that his friend disturbs him while reading.

"Is that from the book signing yesterday?" the blond playboy asks, studying his fingernails.

Loki nods, trying to get back in the story. Fandral drops the study of his nails and drapes his arm over the back of the couch. "Is everything all right, Loki?"

Loki lifts his book a little higher so he can look underneath it at his friend. "I beg your pardon?"

Fandral smiles apologetically. "Forgive me for asking, but you were acting a little off when you came to Red last night. That girl had clearly visible fang marks in her neck when you were done with her; that's not like you."

"No, that's more your style, isn't it?" Loki puts the book between him and Fandral again. "Speaking of... shouldn't you be scouring the city for someone with two legs and a hole to fuck?"

Fandral isn't fazed. "No need to be rude, my friend," he answers pleasantly. "And no, I'm staying home tonight. Thought I could keep you company."

"Please don't," Loki deadpans, pushing himself up to sit. He can forget about reading right now. Although he has spent many a night conversing with Fandral, he doesn't feel like sharing right now.

Before he can get up to leave the room Fandral catches his arm shortly, making Loki stop in his tracks. "Are you sure everything is okay?"

"Yes," Loki states irritatedly. "I had to scratch an itch last night, that's all."

Fandral is not the only one who asks Loki about his behaviour from the other night. Thor actually comes to Loki's room just before dawn. The smell of alcohol and other people's sweat clings to him - courtesy of a night at the club - and Loki tells him to hit the shower as soon as he opens the door. "Yes, in a minute, brother. I want to talk to you before we all go to sleep for the day."

Loki has been watching the morning news from his divan and he puts the tv on mute when Thor comes closer, closing the door behind him. The vampire king sets himself in an armchair with carved lion's paws as legs. With his hands on the armrests and his stare cool and collected he looks regal despite the late hour. He really takes after the Allfather, although Thor also has a softer side to him; something Odin sorely lacks. Loki has learned that during the long years at Odin's court; first as the child brought home from Jotunheim, a playmate to the Allfather's son. And when he reached the right age Odin turned him to be a brother and supporter to the powerful heir to the throne. Thor observes Loki for a moment before he starts talking again. "I'm gonna have to ask you to be more careful when you feed at the club."

"Why?" Loki asks curtly, though he can think of the answer himself. Besides, talking back to Thor is almost second nature; Loki has always been a reluctant brother and supporter, at least on the outside.

"You know why, brother. I can't have the police sniffing around in the club. There is a difference between suspecting there is illegal feeding going on at the club and actually seeing the fang marks." Thor rubs his hand across his beard. "Why didn't you use the artery in the groin like usual?"

"Ugh." The prince scrunches up his nose. "She smelled funny."

Thor's bellowing laugh fills the room. "Serves you right for taking no longer than five seconds to find yourself a snack!" He leans forward with his elbows on his knees. "What was up with that anyway? You hardly ever feed in public places, much less from some random fangbanger."