Muffins VI

The debriefing at Stark Tower is lengthy and consists of one heated argument after another. It doesn't sit well with the Avengers that Hydra was able to do them so much damage, that they didn't know of the new weapon beforehand; even Thor had to admit those Hydra thugs proved to be a bit of a challenge this time. The only upside to the whole story is that Black Widow was able to steal a laptop that was used to control the laser. Now they know how to disable the weapon if they encounter it next time. And that's what one of the main arguments is about: will they wait until Hydra attacks again, or actively search for the laser themself? Loki couldn't care less, he's only here on Thor's request and his opinion isn't asked anyway. As a matter of fact, he has conjured up an illiusion of himself that sits there, quietly listening to Captain America and Iron Man bicker away, while he has actually turned his chair around and is reading 'The colour of magic'.

"Loki? Loki!" With a sigh, Loki looks up from his book. His attention is needed. "Loki. For once, could you act like you care?" Captain America's voice is strained, as is his jaw. Loki spins his chair back around, letting the illusion dissolve in green mist. Cap clenches his jaw harder when he sees the illusion lift, yet he doesn't say anything about it.

"Care? I nearly lost an ear yesterday because I was helping you guys out! Don't talk to me about care!" Loki's eyes shoot daggers. "Somebody fucked up. If it was one of you guys, I'm not allowed to retaliate. If it was someone at Hydra, well, I killed over two dozen of them, that should settle the score somewhat."

Before the Supersoldier can open his mouth, Black Widow speaks up. "Why don't we take a break, huh? We could all use some coffee."

"Good idea," Tony Stark agrees and takes out his phone. "I'll call Coffee & Books for some fuel."

"Don't bother," Hawkeye interrupts, holding up his own phone. "Already ordered. Should be here in a couple of minutes."

Loki pushes his chair back and walks over to the window. They're on one of the highest floors, giving him a nice view of the city. Behind him, the others are quietly talking amongst themselves, their arguments forgotten for the moment. Just like the archer said, their coffee order is delivered within minutes. Loki glances over his shoulder when he hears the door open. It's Ylva again, her special visitor's pass dangling around her neck.

"Here you are, Mr. Stark, your espresso," he hears her say. "Oh, that is quite the black eye you've got there! You had a rough night?"

"You should see the other guy," Stark smirks boyishly when he takes the coffee from her. "Thanks, doll."

She makes her round, giving everyone their order, some kind words and a smile. Loki is last and it's like she has saved her best smile for him. "Here you are, sir."

"It's Loki. Thank you." Having her stand this close to him is pleasant and unnerving at the same time. He is incredibly aware of the faint freckles around her nose, how her eyes narrow from her growing smile, the way her fingers fold around the now empty carton that held the paper coffee cups.

"Enjoy your tea, Loki," she says, tilting her head a little to the side. "Seems to me you all had a rough night. Or day."

"Or both," Loki remarks dryly, pulling the plastic lid of his paper cup.

The girl chuckles, the light sound making Loki's stomach flip. It flips again when she takes the tea bag from his hand and gets it out of the little package before she puts it in his cup. He could have done it himself with just one hand, yet she performs the little act like it's an ordinary routine for the two of them. Her easy demeanor should anger him, this kind of familiarity is unheard of for servants in the palace. Yet he doesn't see her as a servant, he even often forgets she is a mere mortal.