Thirty-One

The tunnel Harry lead her into was dark. The only source of light came from his wand tip, which illuminated only a few feet of dirt in front of them. More than once Belle had tripped over stray rocks or loose dirt, causing Harry to tighten his grip on her hand.

His face was still burning from where she had leaned up to kiss his cheek and he curled his lips inwards, unable to stop the smile from rising onto his face at the thought of it. He was incredibly glad it was dark in the tunnel and that Ron wasn't around or he would never have heard the end of it.

"Watch your step," Harry forewarned as his foot met the bottom of the stairs with a dull clunk. Gently sliding his hand away from Belle's, he reached up to open the trap door into the cellar of Honeydukes and when he saw that it was clear, he climbed up into the box-infested room. He held a hand out for Belle, who simply pulled herself out of the hole and then took his hand, causing his small smile to return. He watched as she glanced around, her eyes widened in curiosity.

"Are we in Honeydukes?" Belle asked curiously, noticing the boxes of assorted candies and treats that lined the walls.

"Jelly slug?" Harry offered, picking up a stray one from one of the open boxes.

"Isn't that stealing?" Harry grinned sheepishly, setting the slug back down into the box.

"Follow me," he said quietly, tugging Belle softly over towards the stairs that led up into the main room of the store. When they were sure that it was quiet and they weren't going to get caught sneaking out, Harry headed up the stairs with Belle right behind him. Just as she reached the top, she tripped over a nail sticking out of the stairs and grabbed ahold of Harry's waist to steady herself.

"Oh, sorry," she whispered, heat rising into her cheeks. He only waved it off, allowing her to compose herself and steady her balance while he checked to make sure that her little slip hadn't alerted the shop owners. When the store stayed silent, Harry quietly stepped out into the dark store as it was passed it's opening hours, with Belle right behind him. The two of them hurried out into the dark, night air which was significantly cooler than the warm tunnel was.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked as he glanced down at Belle and she nodded.

"Thank you for bringing me, Harry," Belle thanked him and he only squeezed her hand, a small smile on his face.

"The night isn't over yet," he said and she raised an eyebrow.

"Come on, the Three Broomsticks is the best at night."

Hogsmeade was considerably prettier at night and much less crowded. Streetlights lined the cobblestone paths, which were just dim enough for them to be able to make out the star-scattered sky above them. The Christmas lights which once donned the stores of the streets were gone and instead were replaced by beautiful, twinkling lights that changed colour depending on the mood of the person that walked by. There was a soft breeze in the air that was sightly warm due to the oncoming season of spring.

Each of the lights lit up a bright, beautiful red when Harry and Belle passed, their hands still holding one another's.

The duo entered the three broomsticks, which was nearly empty when the pair entered. Madam Rosmerta raised an eyebrow as she noticed the two students entering, but decided not to say anything as they sat down at a table near the back of the room where a bright fire was crackling merrily, giving the room a warm, home-y atmosphere.

"Should I get us some butterbeer?" Harry asked and Belle shook her head.

"No, I'll pay for it," she replied and Harry frowned.

"Belle," he started.

"Harry, you snuck me out of Hogwarts just to cheer me up. The least I can do is pay for our butterbeers," she said and Harry sighed.