Twenty-Two

As the school term started up again, the teachers begun to crack down on the students who were slacking off in their classes. While Belle wasn't one of them, that didn't necessarily mean that they were any easier on her because they definitely weren't. Her homework load had become so intense she was often up until midnight each night finishing it off and up in the early hours of the morning writing essays, reading set passages in her textbooks and practicing wand movements.

One of the very few classes that they were able to relax slightly in was charms, as Professor Flitwick had them going over past spells just to recap what they had done in the past seven years of their schooling. Belle, who sat with the three Gryffindors in this class, had found herself becoming more and more entertained by Ron who frequently found himself doing the opposite of what the spell he was casting, was meant to do. 

"Oh, honestly, Ron," Hermione tutted as the flask of water he was trying to turn into red wine exploded. Belle covered her mouth, giggling as Harry was hit in the face by a stream of water, completely drenching him.

"Did you take a dip in the lake?" She teased, grabbing a hold of the pillow she had summoned from across the room.

"You're hilarious," he grumbled, but Belle managed to see the way his mouth twitched upwards in a smile.

"I saw that, Potter, you can't hide from me," Belle said as she reached out to gently poke the corner of his mouth where his smile was growing. He simply brushed her hand away, but couldn't stop the chuckles from leaving him as she sat back in her chair and gave a 'humph' of triumph.

"What's got you so down in the dumps?" She asked curiously as she banished the pillow a little too enthusiastically, sending it straight towards Neville who was trying to get the cactus on his desk to tap-dance. Raising her hand in an apology, Neville waved it off with a smile. 

"Potions," he admitted, turning in his seat slightly to face the girl so that they could talk properly.

"I've never been good at it, but I need top marks to become an Auror and I'm only just passing." Harry sighed, running a hand through his unruly, black hair.

"Have you asked Hermione for help?" Belle asked gently.

"She's got enough to deal with on her own, I don't want to add helping me with potions to that list." The pair of them glanced over at Hermione, who was shaking her head at Ron. He was attempting to perform the levitation charm, but was purposely saying it wrong, just to get a rise out of his girlfriend.

"It's Levi-o-sa not levio-sar. We went over this in first year, Ronald!"

"Yeah, and then you ended up using it to save my life when we were attacked by the mountain troll Quirrel let in," Harry added with a faint grin. Belle watched as the three of them begun to laugh, remembering the halloween of their first year at Hogwarts.

"Ron made Hermione cry so she hid out in the girl's bathrooms. We accidentally locked the troll in there, before realising she was in there with it," Harry explained and Belle smiled, shaking her head gently.

"Even back in first year you were a hero, Potter."

"A hero who can't do potions," he added and she leaned over to nudge him gently.

"If you want help, I can give it a shot. I'm not as good as Hermione, but-"

"But you're nearly as smart as her," Harry said. Belle only scoffed.

"I was going to say I'll try my best to make sure that you don't end up loosing your eyebrows like Finnegan," she said.

"Hey, I heard that!" Seamus called and the two burst into quiet laughter, earning odd looks from Hermione and Ron.