Twenty-Eight

When Harry and Belle said goodbye after they had come in from the flying session he had taken her on, Belle didn't go straight to the Ravenclaw tower like she should have done. Instead, she headed up to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom where she knew her sister would be still awake, grading homework. Quietly, she headed up the stairs and knocked on the office door.

"Come in," Belle heard Clarice call. She pushed the door open and Clarice glanced up as she entered. She set down the essay in her hands and raised an eyebrow, noticing Belle's windswept hair, winter attire and the smile on her face that she was hardly able to contain.

"What are you still doing up?" Clarice asked as Belle sat down in the seat opposite from her sister.

"Er, I was just out, with a... friend," Belle said. Clarice's other eyebrow raised.

"You were out with a friend?" She repeated.

"I was out with Harry," Belle admired and Clarice leaned back in her chair, a small smile on her face.

"Clarice, I went flying," she said.

"Flying as in... flying, on a broom?" Clarice repeated and Belle nodded, biting down on her bottom lip to stop herself from smiling.

"I should be a responsible teacher and give you detention for being out after hours..." Clarice said, but brushed away the essays on her table and leant forward instead, a grin on her face.

"What happened? How did he even manage to get you on a broom, first of all. You spent all of first year faking an illness just to get out of flying lessons!"

"I know! I didn't really think I'd do it at first, but once we were up there... oh, Clarice the view was incredible! I never realised just how beautiful everything was from above! I was a little nervous at first, but he was really kind about it. I'm surprised he didn't complain about how tightly I was gripping him too - I probably left bruises," she admitted with a sheepish laugh.

"Is that all?" Clarice prompted, noticing the gleam in her younger sister's eyes and Belle shook her head.

"He, er, he asked me to go with him to Hogsmeade," Belle stated and Clarice smiled.

She owed Harry a massive debt. After Emilia's betrayal, Clarice and Collette had both wondered whether Belle would ever learn that not everyone she fell in love with would hurt her the way she did. With the way she locked herself up in the spare room or spent most of her time working at Diagon Alley just to get away from the memories that accompanied her own room, they were worried about the youngest Praevideat. Clarice was glad to see that Harry had managed to get Belle to trust again and actually accept his proposal to Hogsmeade. Merlin, she was surprised he'd even managed to get her on a broom, knowing how much she hated flying.

"Well," Clarice said as she leaned back in her chair.

"I suppose I'm going to have to call him in and give him the 'elder sibling' talk, seeing as Mum isn't here, aren't I?"

"Oh, Clarice please don't," Belle said, but she knew her words were useless. Once Clarice had made up her mind there was no changing it - that's what made her such a stubborn Slytherin.

"Sorry, Belle. We did the same with-" Clarice cut herself off before she could say the name, but Belle only smiled weakly.

"With Emilia. I remember," Belle finished.

"Belle, I'm sorry I didn't mean to bring her up," Clarice apologised. Belle shook her head in response.

"No, it's okay. Emilia... Emilia hurt me and I didn't think I'd be happy again after what happened but... but Harry makes me happy. That's what matters. I'm choosing to run my life the way I want to and I don't want to continue feeling guilty and focusing on the past and what happened, when there's a perfectly good opportunity to be happy with someone who I hope I've helped, right in front of me."