Eighteen

By the time that George and Belle had finished talking, it was past midnight. George wasn't sure what it was about the younger Ravenclaw, but he hadn't smiled once since the war. That night, however, George had been laughing. 

He had spoken to Fred through Belle and Belle had relished in the fact that Fred was finally happy, knowing that his brother was going to be okay. He had blatantly refused to move on into the afterlife until George would join him when he was at least eighty and though she knew she shouldn't have been, Belle couldn't help but feel slight relief at the fact that he was going to stay. 

 Though it hadn't started off well, George's conversation with Belle had been just what he needed. He knew he wouldn't be the same and would still miss Fred with every inch of his body, but the thought of Fred being happy and having a friend like Belle to talk to gave him a sense of comfort that no one else could.

"I.. I wasn't sure if you were going to be coming around to the Burrow for Christmas this year and if you aren't, I want you to have this," Belle said, just before she was to leave the now empty store to go back home.

Conjuring up a small flask, Belle use her want to pull silvery threads that George recognised to be memories, from her temple. She trapped them in the flask and stoppered it, before cautiously holding it out to George.

"They're memories of the past year I've spent with Fred. Remus, Tonks, Cedric, Sirius, James, Lily, they're all there too. I figure they'll probably come in handy when... when I get around to telling Harry and the rest of your family, just in case they don't believe me. For now, until I'm able to find some other way to have them directly communicate with you, this is the closest we can get. Everything they've wanted to say are in those memories."

George took the flask and stared at the silver threads inside it, before pocketing it and turning to Belle.

"Thank you, Belle. I - I don't know if I could have continued living the way I had been if you hadn't have arrived." 

"Thank you for taking the chance to listen to me. It means a lot," Belle replied. George made the first move in hugging Belle, something she quickly reacted to. She and George were no longer strangers, but rather two people who could trust each other. Belle was healing those who were still hurting and without her, George wasn't quite sure what he would have done. With Belle's gift and George's acceptance, they were more than just acquaintances. They understood each other.

Fred watched, a smile on his face as the two friends broke away from the hug. 

Belle sent George one last smile and a wave goodbye, before she left the store alone. 

~~~

A day later, Belle awoke to the sound of tapping on her window. Blinking blearily, Belle looked up, only to see that a small, excited owl was sitting on the windowsill outside, waiting for her to wake up. Hurriedly pushing the covers from her body, Belle hurried out of bed and over to the window, where she allowed the small creature to enter her room. It catapulted itself straight into her upper-chest, causing her to fall back onto her bed as the breath left her lungs.

Belle chuckled as the owl held it's leg out, hopping excitedly all over her blankets as it waited for her to take the letter attached to it.

"Aren't you cute?" Belle mused as she pulled off the letter, allowing the owl to nibble her fingers slightly in affection. She unrolled the parchment and scanned the letter, smiling slightly when she realised it was from Harry.

Belle,

I suppose I owe you an apology, first of all, for not owling you over the break. Mrs Weasley has kept us all so busy and there was an incident that included Charlie and a dragon... it would be best not to bring it up around Mr and Mrs Weasley when you come over. Speaking of, they wanted to know what time you'll be arriving so Mrs Weasley can start preparing dinner. It's almost as good as the feasts at Hogwarts, trust me.