II

|| You, Me and Penny Green ||

| Chapter Two |

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

When school let out, Iris was at her locker. She was pulling the small snack baggies out of the space and shoving them in her backpack. Her doctor had recommended she started bringing them with her when she was experiencing heavy spouts of morning sickness, and wasn't keeping any food down. 

When she closed her locker she was met with another group of girls taunting her in, not so hushed, whispers. The two girls she used to call her own friends; Lauren Mallory and Jessica Stanley. Lauren and her were somewhat close, as close as any cliché pair of popular girls could be. They partied together and gossiped together, putting themselves in situations that parents would frown upon. When Iris met Dylan, it was solely because Lauren had introduced them.

Long story short, Iris is now pregnant with his child as he rots in a jail cell for breaking and entering, and a case of assault.  

"Hey, Riz!" Lauren called out as Jessica followed behind her like a shadow. Iris ignored her, turning on her heel, like she never saw them and strutted out of school. If Lauren didn't bother to speak to her four months ago, she didn't deserve her precious time now. However, Iris was pulled back from pushing open the school doors by the hand of Lauren tugging on her wrist. "Riz, hey. How's life, how's it goin'?"

Iris failed at keeping her eyes from rolling. When you really got to know the girl months ago, many would say she was sweet and shy, slow to speak but quick to listen. Now, when someone brought up Iris, they'd say she's brash and blunt, impossibly impatient when it came to nonsense. Of course, that wasn't the real Iris, but after months of ridicule, she'd had enough and made it her job to scare off anyone, brave enough, away with her hard exterior.

"What is it that you could possibly want, Lauren?" Her voice bored and slightly irritated that Lauren would dare come up to her after bullying her for months. 

"Don't be like that, babes! It was just a huge misunderstanding, look, we can go out and do something this weekend and –"

"Forget it. I don't have time nor the immaturity for your frivolous parties anymore." Iris cut her off and turned swiftly on her heel. She just knew in her gut that whatever Lauren was planning had absolutely nothing to do with actually hanging out with her this weekend. She wasn't going to play into her games any longer, she'd already given her a million chances before. As the fresh air met Iris' face, she breathed in the oxygen. She wished she could appreciate the cool of the air and icy ground, but Lauren was still tailing behind her. 

 Iris retched the keys out of her pocket as she avoided the slippery ice below her, trying to quickly get away from Lauren. She was almost there, ignoring the stares of the people around the parking lot as she made her way to her old Mazda parked next to a rusted, orange truck. "Whatever, bitch. You listen to me, hey!" Iris shook her head. She desperately wanted to get out of there and curl up into a ball. It was only her first day back after being ill the last two weeks, and she already wanted to go home.

A certain Cullen watched across the parking lot as the expecting mother tried to escape the incessant voice of the freshly bleached blonde, Lauren. Her face showed signs of agitation and embarrassment, but her mind screamed her discomfort the most. Edward fought his control, wanting to go over there and intervene, but reframed from doing so. Iris didn't know who he was, and if he'd went over there to her rescue, she'd think him even more strange. 

Jasper eyed Edward warily, feeling the changing of emotions in him. Alice stayed close beside him, having stayed shockingly silent since the school day ended after being chewed out for being wrong about Bella. It's not that she was wrong, that kept her quiet, she was just surprised beyond comprehension. That almost never happens to the tiny psychic. 

"I spoke to Dylan yesterday! He wanted to know how the baby was doing?" Iris whipped around at that. Her heart rate spiked as she stared at Lauren a good distance away. The fact that she yelled it across the parking lot made her blood boil with rage. It was her private business, no one else's and she had no right to put it out there for the whole school to hear. Iris searched her ex-best friend's face, finding nothing but malice in her eyes. Without saying a word, Iris turned her back, shielding her face from onlookers. 

Suddenly, a screeching of tires caught the attention of every teenager in the school parking lot. A large van, driven by Tyler Crowley had swerved on the icy concrete and made a path towards an unsuspecting teenage mother. Many screamed as Iris' life flashed before her eyes. Her first instinct was to shield her unborn child from the collision. Her arms flexed over her midsection as she ducked in the other direction. 

No one saw the dashing mind reader as he ran at inhumane speed. His mind and undead heart acted as one, and he moved as quickly as he could towards the ginger. A squeal left her red painted lips as solid marble snatched her from impending doom. Edward found himself breathing hard even though he didn't need to. He was in a frenzy as he searched Iris form for any damages before he even touched the ground. 

When Iris peeled open her eyes she was beyond surprised to see, and feel the arms of Edward Cullen holding her tightly to his chest. Once again, green met gold in a cosmic explosion. Her chest heaved up and down rapidly as she clutched Edwards useless jacket with her shaky fingers. Her bottom lip wobbled and Edward found himself leaning closer to hear her better, although he could hear just fine.

"T-thank y-you," He searched her face for any sign of distress before sending her a small, barely there, smile. To Iris it was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen up to date. 

All too soon, he gently sat her down and left the confides of two smashed vehicles before anyone saw him. Iris glanced around wildly as shouts from multiple students met her ears. Many of the students who gossiped behind her back and wrote on her locker crude things, were asking if she was okay and making a grand show about it. Soon after, the paramedics arrived and they hoisted her up on a gurney, unnecessary in her opinion, but she went along with it. With her dazed mind, all she could think about was her knight in shining north-face jacket who came to her rescue as they drove her away.

No one saw the heroic deed Edward did that day, well, except Bella Swan.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃