XIII

|| You, Me & Penny Green ||

| Chapter Thirteen |

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Good morning Ona," Iris greeted the elderly woman as she shuffled into the kitchen. The woman was finishing a cup of coffee as she read the newspaper. Her eye brows were furrowed deeply, matching the frown weighing down her face. When Iris didn't get a greeting in return, she looked up from the prenatal vitamin bottle and eyed Donna curiously. 

"Donna?" Finally the florist looked up but they weren't as bright as they usually were. This made the young mother fill with concern as she stepped closer to her parental figure. "What's the matter?"

Instead of speaking, she just sighed sadly, holding out the newspaper for her to read instead. Iris took it, carefully looking it over for a sign as to why Donna wasn't in her chipper mood. Her green eyes widened when she read the headline 'ANIMAL ATTACKS RIGHT OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR?' in big bold letters. A sorrowful dedication to Waylon Forge, who Iris remembered playing Santa Claus multiple years, was written right under. His cause of dead was horrendous, but not because she believed it was an animal attack, but because she knew it wasn't.

During her whole life living in Forks, Washington, there has never been an animal attack. So why would she believe this just suddenly sprung up on everyone now?

Iris stomach dropped as she thought of the poor man, dying too soon. His fate was most likely from the supernatural she just found out about. There was no other real explanation, and with that being said, was it the Cullen's who did him in? Iris didn't know, but she didn't want to find out any time soon. 

"He was a good man, that Waylon." Donna commented with a melancholy expression. Iris nodded along, walking across the space in between them to hug the elder woman. When they parted, she whipped the lone tear going down Donna's cheek. She never really seen the strong woman cry and the sight alone made her heart crack in two. 

"I'm sorry about your friend Ona," Iris tried to console but thought she wasn't really good at it. Donna sent her a slim smile before pushing herself out of the chair. The floor creaked underneath her as she walked around the kitchen with no real direction. "Maybe you should close down the shop today, in honor of Waylon?" The ginger suggested as she found the elder's hand and squeezed it reassuringly. 

Donna sniffled while nodding jerkily, "Y-yeah, I think I'll do that for em'. The least I could do." Iris took the time to lead Ona back upstairs. She tucked her in bed and got her a glass of water with some aspirin. The elder took it upon herself to care for the younger mother when no one else would have her. So Iris decided she would return the favor for her dear friend. "I'll call you during my lunch, okay? I love you," She whispered to the already half-asleep Donna.