Chapter 19

The only thing he could hear was his heartbeat ringing loudly in his ears. Everything stopped. Misty lay still among a broken branch, eyes peacefully closed.

Rascal scrambled over to her, tripping and stumbling along the way. He reached her side, staring anxiously at his mate.

"M-Misty?" His voice shook, hope still beating in his heart.

The she-wolf lay completely still. Scarlet blood stained her beautiful fur.

"Misty?" Rascal asked louder. He bent down and nudged her with his nose. He couldn't stop trembling. "Misty wake-up. They're gone. I'm here." He nuzzled her shoulder. "Please..." He asked with his final string of hope.

Misty's legs were splayed out, fur ruffling softly in the wind.

Rascal fell to his knees and cried out in distress. He pushed his head in her soft fur, sobbing his heart out. He looked at her beautiful face. She was strong, amazing, perfect.

He sniffled before howling out with all his might; "MISTY!!!!!"

He dropped to the ground and felt his heart tear in two. She was gone. His everything. His world. His other half. The half that made him whole.

He crawled up beside her and curled around her. In her ear, he whispered shakily. "Please...Come back to me... I love you, Misty. Please, don't g-go."

He touched her, feeling her body's warmth slowly leave. He sniffled and hiccuped, cuddling around Misty for one final time.

"And we were just beginning a new journey." He murmured, sweeping his tail over her swollen stomach. Tears fell down his face. "One we'll never get to know." His face twisted in emotional pain. His dark tear-filled eyes landed on Misty's peaceful face. "You would have been a wonderful mother."

He touched his nose to her cheek. "They would have been perfect... I l-love you, my d-dear."

Stinging red eyes in a grieving state, Rascal pressed his face in her fur, inhaling her comforting smell.

Rascal cried out again, hurt making him sick to his stomach. He suddenly could feel a presence beside him. He glanced to his side, eyes widening in shock.

A faint outline of a blue-gray wolf smiled gently at him. He reached out and touched Misty's chest. Rascal could see a warmth pass from River's paw, to Misty's heart.

River stepped back and dipped his head, disappearing into the sky.

He was so distracted watching River leave, that he almost didn't hear the painful gasp in front of him.

He jerked his head to the sound. Misty's eyes were open, shining with pain. Her flank rising and falling in quick rapid breaths.

"Misty!" Rascal exclaimed. He brought Misty's head to face him with a paw. He covered her face in relieved, affectionate kisses.

He buried her face in her light fur, sending up a silent prayer.

Thank you, River. How will I ever repay you?

Misty's expression was dazed. "R-Rascal?" Her voice came out lower than a whisper.

Joyful tears brimmed his eyes. "Yes, my love." He stroked her fur softly. "I'm here."

Misty smiled weakly, then grimaced painfully. Her head fell back and she panted, each breath sending sparks of discomfort shooting through her bones.

"Thank the stars you're alive," Rascal whispered. "We must get you back. You need help."

Misty gave a small nod. Rascal touched his nose to hers. "This will hurt. But I promise suffering is short. Be strong for me." He lifted Misty on to his back, heart burning at her weak yelps of pain.