Chapter Twenty Six

KO yawned and stretched out as he woke up. He had no idea how long they had been here. The sun was shining through the curtain blocking the window, meaning they must have spent the night since it was setting by the time KO had found her yesterday.

As he sat up, he noticed Y/n was nowhere to be seen. Worried, he stood up and walked towards the door. But as he passed by the window, he heard the quiet clatter of something. He walked up to the window and pushed the curtain.

He saw Y/n standing by the window of her old room, looking at her old stuff. KO smiled. She looked so cute when she was happy. He didn't want to interrupt her, so he left her alone for a little while.

Y/n had a new outfit on since she had been wearing the other one for days and it was dirty. She never did pack much. She was planning on running away, back to the orphanage when she was adopted. It wasn't a well thought out plan, but she was more worried about not seeing KO and Tko ever again to try and make a better plan. If not for all the recent events with Glitch Face and whatever happened before she lost her memory, she probably would have ran away.

Y/n sighed as she set down the toy she was looking at. KO was probably awake now. She didn't want to worry him, so she decided to go back to the tree house.

She walked across the branches and into the tree house. KO was sitting on the floor playing with some of the toys she had. He looked up at her and smiled.

"Hey, Y/n." He greeted as he stood up and walked over to her. He noticed the new outfit. "Did you change?"

"Yeah. That other outfit was old and dirty." Y/n said. She looked down. She didn't know what else to say. The small talk was only making the tension more awkward.

KO looked down as well, trying to think of something to say. Thankfully, he heard a familiar voice, saving him from the awkward tension.

"KO!" A voice called from outside. The two children looked out the curtain door and saw Carol and Professor Venomous standing outside. Professor Venomous crossed his arms.

"I told you they'd be here." He said. Carol huffed.

"Whatever." She muttered. She looked back up at KO and Y/n. "Come down!"

Y/n hesitated. She didn't want Professor Venomous to take her away from KO.

"C'mon, Y/n. Maybe we can talk to him." KO said. Y/n sighed and began climbing down the ladder, KO following.

As they reached the ground, Carol scooped KO up in her arms.

"I was so worried! When we couldn't find Y/n, we went back home and I saw you weren't there! I was so scared!" She said as she hugged him.

Y/n, however, didn't look up at Professor Venomous. She expected him to be mad at her for causing so many problems.

She suddenly felt someone wrap their arms around her, hugging her. Shocked, she looked up to see Professor Venomous on his knees hugging her.

"I know I may have seemed like I don't care about you... I even said I was just going to conduct some experiments and send you back to the orphanage... I didn't mean it. I do care about you, even if it doesn't seem like it..." Professor Venomous said.

Y/n's eyes widened, and she found herself at a loss of words. He actually cared about her. All this time, he seemed like he hated her and wanted her gone as soon as possible. And it turned out he cared about her.

Y/n smiled and wrapped her arms around him. This might actually work. She might actually finally have a dad.

They pulled away a moment later, and Professor Venomous stood up.

"Now we just need to find Penelope and shut her down. Then, I can fix her glitch and she'll no longer have one." He said.

"Where do you think she would be?" Carol asked.

"I'm not sure. Penelope was made to be stealthy, so she could be anywhere. And if Glitch Face comes back, we'll need to be ready. That means I'm going to have to make some weapons to use. But even then, it'll be very hard to beat her. I programmed Glitch Face to be able to take almost anything." Professor Venomous said.

"Won't it be easier to stop Penelope?" Y/n asked.

"Yes, but for all we know, Glitch Face will remain in control until she completes the goal she made for." Professor Venomous said.

"And what is that goal?" KO asked.

"To take Y/n. She will stop at nothing to take Y/n and bring her to me, dead or alive." Professor Venomous said. Y/n's eyes widened.

"Dead or alive?! Why would you program her like that?!" She exclaimed.

"She developed a mind of her own. I didn't expect it." Professor Venomous said.

"Well... How do we stop her?" Carol asked.

"We'll need to build a machine that can capture Glitch Face. If it's Penelope, she'll listen to me and let me shut her down. But Glitch Face will resist. Once I get the machine built, Y/n can lure Glitch Face into it. Glitch Face will have to follow her since her objective is to catch Y/n. Once she's in the machine, we can destroy her. The only thing we'll lose is Penelope." Professor Venomous said.

"Are you sure you want to do that? I know Penelope probably means a lot to you since she's one of your best machines..." Y/n said.

"It's for the best. Now, let's get to building." Professor Venomous said.

Well if Professor Venomous turns out to be KO's dad, this book is screwed.