Ch. 23

TOBIAS:

I jump off the train and start to walk to my house in the Abnegation center. The meeting was boring. Just another debate over factions or no factions. We made a final decision of no factions but old faction members may choose to remain at their headquarters if they have no place to stay since most of them don't.

Although I have a place to stay, I think I want to go back to Dauntless. I'll have to talk to Tris and see what she wants but there are so many memories there that I don't just want to leave. Like escaping my father. Getting first in initiation. Pulling Tris out of the net. Kissing her in the Chasm for the first time. Her getting first and the kiss she gave me right after.

Dauntless resembles bravery and freedom. And I know that I love it there.

My thoughts are broken along with my steps by a scream.

"Tobias!" I hear. It sounds somewhat distant but loud enough for me to hear. The voice is feminine, but kind of low for a girl. The voice that could always comfort me and bring me back into reality. That same voice is usually filled with bravery. Now it sounds like it is coming out of fear and weakness. And Pain.

Tris.

"TRIS!" I yell back.

I start to run faster than I ever have. I get to the door of our house to find it broken down. No. Tris. I step inside and here noises coming from the living room. I stop when I see what's happening. Tris. My Tris is on the ground, shirtless with black bruises covering her stomach and face. Red lash marks cover her stomach and there is a cut along part of her collarbone. Blood rushes out of her nose and there is a small splatter of red near her but I have no idea where it is from. The worst part is who- or should I say what monster is over her.

Marcus.

I'm blind with fury. Then Tris catches my eye and I see her put up her index finger by her side telling me to wait. What does she mean wait? She is getting beaten senseless and she tells me to WAIT to save her? Somehow I manage to hold myself back and that's when it all fits together.

She looks straight at Marcus and says, "You know what they call big, strong men who beat women? A coward. And you know what you are? A monster of a human being," she says. I see her slide her hand down at that moment and that's my cue. Right as Marcus pulls back to hit her, I grab him by the back of his shirt and lift him off the ground. Before he can talk I grab him and slam his head into the wall five, maybe six times as hatred replaces my blood. Then I throw him to the ground and kick him hard in the stomach, side, neck, and head. I kick until he his sputtering blood out of his mouth.

"This is for your own good," I say. I pull the gun from my waistband and click the bullet in place. I am about to release when I hear him.

"Like father, like son," he says with the most sick grin on his face. I pull the trigger and hit him where his heart would be if he had one.

I turn on my heels and fall on my knees next to Tris.

"Tris," I choke out. Tears stream down my face. If only I didn't go to the meeting the stupid meeting.

How could I be so clueless? So irresponsible?

I messed up I think to myself.

And look where it lands us every time.

She lifts her eyes towards me, her cheeks stained with tears.

"Tobias," she coughs out.