Ch. 11

TOBIAS:

I finally, finally sleep just a little. I think I get three hours roughly. Tris asked me to stay with her and I couldn't imagine leaving- even if she wanted me to. I spent most of the night talking with the doctors about how she is off life support, what medication to give her when we leave and how soon we can leave. The doctor said we could leave as soon as Tris wakes up so they can check her condition. He also said because of the shot in her back, walking will be hard for a while but she will, eventually be able to move easily as she used to. I know she won't like that and will probably be walking way to early but I don't say anything. I also spent it checking Tris's pulse and blood pressure; checking her wounds, and giving her medicine. I go to check the shot on her side. Luckily, she's sleeping on her back so all I have to do is pull back her hospital gown. I unbutton one button on the gown that is near her side and pull the cloth away. She has a scar running down it, that is probably a good 3 inches. The skin around it is pink and tender but still her side is very bruised. The doctor told me to check if her stitches were holding up and then how far the bruising has spread. The stitches are good but the bruise seems to stretch from her side all the way down to her hip, in towards her spine but not completely reaching it and past most of her rib cage. Still I can cover half of it with my hand, from how small she is. I run my finger around the shot idly, so I don't hurt her but she still feels me because she wakes up. She looks down at me and says, "Looks pretty bad, right?" Her voice is scratchy and pain filled.

I bend down and gently press my lips her scar and say, "No, you're beautiful."

She lets out a little laugh but it becomes more of a whimper. Now that she's conscious, she knows how bad everything hurts. I slide up the bed so I'm laying next to her. She tries to turn towards me but it hurts so I move my hand to support her side as she turns and gently pull her into my embrace, her head on my chest. "You ready to get out of here?" I ask her. All she does is nod. And that still comes hard and painful.

"I want to go home," she whispers.

"That's exactly where we will go," I say against her hair. But I'm not sure which she means; my Abnegation home, back to the Dauntless Building, or her Abnegation home. She seems to realize my confusion and says, "I just want to go anywhere but here with you."

I kiss the top of her head. "Good, because leaving me isn't exactly an option," I say. A smile tugs at the corner of her mouth. Her eyes close and soon after I feel her start to get heavy in my arms and then I remember the only way we get out of here is if she wakes up to let the doctor check her injuries and blood pressure and everything. I gently shake her shoulder a little.

"Hey sorry to do this, but the only way we're checking our of here is if you get up so the doctor can check you. But if you are fine staying longer, you can sleep," I say but right as the words leave my mouth she answers.

"No I'm up. I'll get it over with and get out," she says, words slurred from exhaustion.

"That's my girl," I mutter as I help her sit up, baring most of her weight. "I'll go get the doctor. Tell him to call me in when you're done."

"No!" she cries behind me, her voice raw and raspy. Her hand catches mine. "Stay."

I press my lips together. I don't like medical business necessarily and hate to see her in pain but I know she needs me. "Ok," I whisper. "Let me just get the doctor." She nods. I drop her hand. When I leave the room, I see her, sitting slouched on the hospital bed her head in hands. Her shoulders shake and her entire demeanor shouts pain. I can't take it. I walk away before any emotion gets a chance to show. This is not my time to be a wreck. I won't help her by being broken myself. I find the doctor walking the halls from one room to the other.

"She's up," I say.

"Oh, ok great I will be with you in just a little," he replies. I mutter some sort of thank you and we go our separate ways. On the way back to the room, Christina sees me and yells.

"Four!" she yells, running towards me. "I got all the others in on it and we want to kind of throw a small surprise party for Tris, as a welcome home celebration. I know she is tired and in bad condition but we will just say hi, bring food and stuff and go so she can rest. Just, we need to know when she is coming back and where to throw the party," she finishes.

"Well the doctor is about to go check her and if she's cleared, we will probably be back in an hour and a half or so. If not, she is staying here a little longer. But about where to have it, I don't think we have too many choices. We could do here in the dorms we were staying in, my house at Abnegation or even try the Dauntless building. But now that I think about it, getting her in a car an then to walk to Dauntless or Abnegation sectors might be to painful. Lets just do it here I guess," I say.

"How will you let us know if she's coming?" Christina asks.

"I'll knock if she's with me, and just barge in if she's not. I'll need to grab her food anyway so I'll come back for sure," I answer.

"Ok," she says. "See you later then."

"Yah," is all I can say. It's nice, but I still don't know if it is what Tris needs. That's ok. It will bring her mood up a little at least.

__________________________

Vote•Comment•Follow

Thanks everyone for all the views! You honestly don't know how much it means!

Vote•Comment•Follow

__________________________