Twenty-One

Days have passed and I still refused the test. Jacob senior was getting annoyed and frustrated. He even tried to hold a gun to my head, I didn't flinch. He even tried my mom, I ignored her. He's running out of options. I'm hoping he shoots me and it's serious enough to rush me to an emergency room, but this being a gang they probably have a doctor like bran does.
"Laura, please make this easier on yourself." My mom pleaded.
"Fuck you." Is all I could say.
"You have to test, that's all. Just to make sure you can give him an heir."
"I'd rather die."
"Please sweetie." My mom reached for my hand making me jerk away from her.
"Don't touch me. I hate you!"
She sobbed a little and ran from the room. I heard it click and then silence.

A week passed by before I started feeling sick. I kept throwing up and wanted nothing but to be free. I wanted bran. I didn't sleep much. I didn't even eat much. I just sat by the window and cried. I know, I'm being a baby about this. But who wouldn't? Escaping was hopeless. Truth is, there is no escape for me.
"Still refusing this?" Jacob junior twirled the test in his fingers.
"Kill me. I don't care anymore."
"See, I can't." He clicked his tongue on his teeth. "I need you to give me an heir. And be my bride."
"Why me? Why not someone else?"
"We have watched you grow up. We kept our eyes on you. Your tough. But this? Come on!"
"I'm not as strong as you all believe."
"Giving a girl a concussion and almost killing the girl at the arcade weeks ago?" He snorted. "Your tough."
"Not even close. But I have my moments."
"Eat something." He picked up a cookie from the tray on the table and set it in front of me.
"I don't want it." I picked it up and threw it at the door.
"Now that was disrespectful. You respect your future husband." His hand came up smacking me on the face making my cheek grow red and warm.
I didn't argue or try to fight back, I was weak from no sleep and no food. I sat there in a daze holding my face looking away from him.
He got annoyed and stormed from the room.
I decided it was better to cry than fight and scream. Why was this happening to me? Why couldn't they just leave me alone?

Another few days flew by. Still no sleep and still no test. I didn't want to do anything anymore. I felt like I'd given up. Which is smart to do. I wasn't getting out of here anytime soon. I'm stuck.
The nurse came back with another tray of food. Then it hit me. I need to eat, I need to get strong. I need to try and fight. I need out of here. No more crying, no more being afraid. If they wanted to play, I'll play.
I took the tray of food and ate everything on it. I took the test from the table and decided I needed to know so I know what'd I'd be fighting for if anything.
I waited a while and checked the test. A big pink plus sign showed up. I knew what I was fighting for. I knew what I had to do. I took the test and smashed it using the cabinet door then flushed the pieces.
By night fall I curled up on the bed and tried to sleep a little bit before trying to come up with a plan of escape. I had to.

I was woke up early by my mom shaking me awake with worry on her face.
"Their coming to blood test you."
"Why?"
"You refused the pee test. Their taking blood."
"Great." I muttered.
"I have an idea to get you out of here, but you have to trust me."
"I don't." I growled sitting up. "But I am pregnant."
"Ok, we need to get you out."
My mom hurried from the room before anyone else showed up. The nurse walked in with some food and a tray of needles.
"I need some blood today."
I was glad I ate but I need more food, more energy. "Can I eat first?"
"Sure. I'll be back in ten." She nodded leaving the room.
She left the needles laying on the table. I grabbed them shoving them in my pocket and hid the tray. I stuffed my face with the food and went back to the bed.
"Did I leave my tray?" The nurse asked walking back in.
"No, you took it I think."
"I'll have to go grab a new one. Stay put."
She walked off leaving the door wide open. My moms voice boomed from down the hall.
"Nurse! I need help."
The nurse reluctantly ran down the hall past my door to see what was happening. I peeked out the door and seen no one was around. So I grabbed the needles from my pocket and placed each one between each knuckle and walked out. It was time for me to leave. One way or another someone was dying.

I followed the hall way to a wooden door. I listened, when I satisfied it was clear I slowly opened it. It was a nurses station. I grabbed a lab coat and hat and put it on along with a face mask.
I left the room walking back towards mine. I peeked inside, still no nurse. So I screamed.
"She's gone!"
A few guards and the nurse appeared back at the door. Even my mom showed up. She looked at me knowingly.
"Maybe she went outside. Let's go see."
We all ran towards the exit but was stopped by Jacob junior.
"What's happening?"
"The girl escaped, sir." A guard whispered.
"Are really that blind?" He looked to my mom then to me. "Remove your mask."
"I'm sick sir." I fake coughed.
He rubbed his chin then removed my mask forcefully. "Nice try."
I still had the needles popped between my knuckles so I jabbed him in the chest with force that knocked him back. "Not quite." I smirked kicking him in the head.
The guard lunged but my mom stabbed him in the leg. "Run Laura!"
I took off looking back at her watching the guard get up and shoot her in the gut.
She sacrificed herself for me after all.
I mouthed a 'thank you' and ran wherever I could push myself to. And I'd run until I hit somewhere public with a lot of people. Wherever I was, I'd find my way home.