Seven

Before the actual dancing and fighting began I left the mansion and dipped into the local church to say a few words and a goodbye to grandmother. The whole town was there saying their goodbyes as well. Flowers littered her brown coffin. Inside beside her head were pictures of me and her and of my gramps. A few were of my mother when she was a little girl. People kept walking over to me telling me sorry for my loss or hugging me with tears filling their eyes. I wasn't even crying, I was more numb than anything.  After a while I decided it was time to head back to the mansion. When I got back to Brans everyone hugged me and telling the same thing, "sorry for your loss" or "We are here for you." I didn't feel like being around a crowd so I snuck off to be alone.
It's finally time for this crap to begin. I've been standing here staring in the mirror, I didn't recognize the girl looking back at me. Long smooth legs, long brown hair and beautiful baby blue eyes. I looked different but yet still the same. I looked like a stripper in this outfit. I do not like it, but I guess I have no choice.
Lost in thought a knock on my door snapped me out of it.
"Come in!"
The door swung open and in walked Bran. "You look....uh...good." He turned his head a little to avoid eye contact.
"Thanks. What can I do for you?"
"You're on in five. And after we need to talk."
I nodded and he left me alone again, still staring at myself in the mirror.
Not even five freaking minutes went by and Sunny game barging into the room. This girl will be the death of me, I thought Chelsea was bad, well Sunny is worse.
"Come on, move your butt. You're on!" She practically pushed me out of the door and all the way into the yard. There was way more people here tonight than normal. I gulped and searched for Bran.
"He's back there." Sunny pointed to the very back of the crowd. Bran was standing up with his arms folded lightly over his chest...staring at me. I gulped again.
"I'm so nervous." I shook my head.
"You'll do fine. Just remember, focus. Look at me the whole time. It's just us training ok?" She patted my shoulder. "You got this."
I nodded and wrapped her into a hug. "Thank you." I whispered.
"For what?" She cocked her head side ways.
"For everything. You're the only friend I have here."
She wrapped her arm through mine and led me to the dance floor. "Eyes on me."
She sat down in front so I could see her. I wrapped my hands around the pole and started dancing. Everyone was watching, but my eyes stayed glued to Sunny. I glanced up at Bran a few times. His eyes were glued to me, even when Marla sauntered outside and started talking to him. I'm not even sure why she's here. But whatever. At the end of the dance I finished with a 'sexy' pose. One that Sunny showed me. My back arched and my butt stuck out with a bite to my lower lip and with my finger tip in my the corner of my mouth. The applause erupted and I felt better. I was no longer nervous. Sunny jumped up and hugged me tightly.
"You did so good!" She shrieked.
"Thanks." I looked back where Bran was and he was gone, so was Marla.
"I'll go see if I can find Bran." Sunny whispered walking inside.
Instead of following her, I went to my room to get ready for the fight. I don't know who I'm fighting though, but I know I can win.

"You fight in five minutes." Sunny said entering my room.
"Against who?" I rolled my eyes and finished dressing in my gym clothes and tying my hair up.
"Marla." She shrugged.
"Wait what!?" I spun around and glared at her.
"Apparently she's joining too. She says because she wants to, she has no where else to go...but we both know why." She rolled her eyes. "I can't stand her."
"She's unbelievable!" I screamed.
A soft rap knocked on my door. I edged closer and opened it.
Bran was standing there leaning against the wall looking exhausted.
"Hey, we need to talk." He whispered.
I nodded and pulled him inside. "What's up?"
"Uh...alone?" He asked looking at Sunny.
"Yup, I was just leaving." She frowned. She got up and dragged her feet out the door.
Bran walked closer to me. "I scanned the necklace a few times. Nothing showed except your grandmas prints. KJ, do know what it means?"
"Kara Jennson. My mother." I looked at the ground.
"Look, it can be hers or it could not have been. We don't know. We will figure it out. I have James digging."
"Thanks."
He tilted my head up to look at him. He inched closer, our foreheads touching, lips almost close. He had his hands on my waist. He smelt so good, like vanilla and old spice deodorant. For some reason I felt safe.
"You looked good dancing." He was grinning.
"Thank you...I guess." I frowned. "Where'd you go? Ya know after?"
"I had to show Marla to a room. She's fighting you. Also to run this prints for you."
"Why is she joining?"
"She has no where else to go." He shrugged.
"You know that's a lie, right!? She just wants to be close to you."
"Perhaps. But, I don't want her." He winked. "Come on, it's time."
He led me back outside and said good luck then retreated to the back once again. Sunny was seated up front where she was for the dance. Marla made her way outside in nothing but a bra and super short shorts. She looked like someone who was about to sleep with someone for money not for a fight. She winked at Bran then snarled at me.
"You ready to lose?" She growled.
"Please!" I laughed. "I was trained to fight since I was five!"
When someone blew a whistle the fight has begun. Marla swung first, maybe trying to impress Bran, but she missed. I ducked and came around with a kick to her leg. She fell over and growled. When she got up to her feet, I lunged and punched hitting the side of her cheek. She fell back over. It took her a minute to regain her composure and ran at me tackling me, except I didn't fall. I kneed her several times in the gut and elbowed her in the ribs. She fell gasping for air, I brought my knee up and hitting her in the nose. She fell completely over rolling holding her nose wailing in pain. The whistle went off. Fastest fight I've seen or been in.
"No! I can continue!" Marla screamed.
"No! You can't! Go get cleaned off." Bran said stepping forward.
"No. I want to continue!" She yelled climbing to her feet.
"She wants an even worse beating, let her." I smirked.
Bran grabbed my hand. "No. It's over, you won. Come with me."
He grabbed my hand and pulled me into the house and to the office. I went to the seat where I sat during the meeting.
"Why did you pull me away?" I asked a little rudely.
"Because, you're a good fighter. Marla sucks, and you could kill her if I'd allow it to continue."
"I'm not that good." I shook my head in protest.
"Yes, you are. Now tell me, why couldn't you fight that guy in the alley that night?"
"Long story." I shrugged.
"We got time."
"Well, he's my step dad, he beat me and touched me when I was young. My grandpa and grandma took me away from my mom, they couldn't handle it anymore. They hated seeing me hurt. They were afraid I'd end up dead." I shrugged.
"What about the fighting?"
"My grandparents thought it'd be a good idea to put me through training. I started at five. When I turned sixteen, I quit. I broke a girls arm and nose and give her a concussion."
"See? You could do some serious damage." He chuckled.
"It's not funny. I got kicked out of school a few times for fighting. They decided to wipe my slate and give me a clean start." I sighed. "And That was only because my grandpa struck a deal."
"What about your step dad? Why can't you fight him?"
"He knows my weaknesses. I never get a chance to fight back." Tears swelled up in my eyes. I quickly wiped them away.
"Then I'll help you." His phone chimes and he looked at it for a minute zooming in on something. He put it back in his pocket and looked at for a moment. "I know who the necklace belongs to."
My mouth fell open. "Who?"
"Your mother."