Chapter 42|Surprises

"Who should we tell first?" I ask Aaron, opening the front door for him. He looks at me, eyebrows raised, stopping for a moment under the doorframe.

"Did you really just ask that question?"

I study his face for a second, confused by his demeanor. I raise my eyebrows, waiting for him to continue.

"Who's the one person that would whack the both of us with a shoe if we didn't tell her first?" He asks.

Oh, my mom. He's right, I want those days to stay behind me.

"Oh, yeah."

"Why do I know your mother better than you do?"

"I don't know, I think she likes you more than she likes me. Speaking of parents... how are we going to tell yours?" I ask, tilting my head a little.

"They'll be happy... eventually," he winces. "But Melissa..."

"Ah! I love her so much! She'll be my sister-in-law!" I chirp, jumping with excitement.

"You barely know her!"

"Oh hush, come on!" I tug on his hand, forcing him to walk through the doorway.

He barely moved and inch for that entire conversation.

As the door closes behind us, Aaron wraps his arm around my waist, bringing me close to his side.

"By the way, I'm supposed to get the door for you."

"Hey, I was being kind. You always do everything for me, the least I can do is open a door for you."

"You did everything for me when you said yes."

I look over to see a big smile on his face, probably reminiscing about that moment a few days ago. I can't help but smile and blush a little bit, remembering the moment myself.

The way his eyes sparkled, how he made that little speech. It makes me want to cry all over again. To think that it was all for me, that's even more crazy. How perfect the ring fits on my finger, and how much time I spend just staring at it. Such a gorgeous thing shouldn't belong to me, yet it seems to belong on my finger.

As soon as he proposed, everything seemed to click into place. There are still problems that I need to deal with, but Aaron has become such an important peice of me that it all seems to fade away, if only for a moment.

It's like he was the biggest, most important peice of my puzzle, and he finally clicked into place when he got down on one knee. I'll never forget that moment, that's for sure.

I found myself running my right thumb over the diamonds of the ring on my left hand, subconsciously admiring it.

Too perfect, just like him.

"You might want to try to hide the ring until we tell her. What are you thinking?" Aaron asks as we approach my mother's comforting home.

"I'll have to figure it out," I answer, feeling a pit of anxiety burrow in my stomach.

It's just my mom, why am I nervous? I'm just kind of worried she'll faint and slip into a coma after hearing the news.

Aaron raises a confident hand up to the door before knocking on it twice. I quickly hide my left hand in the pocket of my jeans, concealing the ring. I hear some movement from inside the house before the door swings open.

To my surprise, I see Eric, smiling like usual.

Does he ever leave my mom's side?

Not that it's a bad thing, but it's weird...