Chapter 38|Christmas Party

"Hey babe?" Aaron calls me.

"Yeah?" I ask, bringing my attention to him.

"Will you come help me with this?" He asks, inspecting the mistletoe above his head. As I approach him, he looks over at me, stepping out of my way.

"Yeah, looks fine to me."

I jump as Aaron's muscular arm snakes around my waist.

"I don't mean to startle you." His eyes sparkle as a smirk cracks across his chiseled face. "But you just fell for the oldest trick in the book."

He looks up at the mistletoe above us, smirking further when I realize my fault. But before I can give it a second thought, his soft lips are on mine.

As soon as I wrap my arms around his neck, the doorbell indicates someone's arrival. I groan in frustration, breaking the kiss. Aaron only chuckles.

When I open the front door, I see the cheerful faces of four of my friends.

"Woah! Lookin' like a snack, Aphmau!" Katelyn whistles.

"No, she looks like a full on meal!" Kawaii~Chan corrects her, admiring my outfit with stars in her eyes. I look up at Travis and Zane for guidance, only to receive confused shrugs.

"Uh... nice to see you too?" I reply. They giggle, bringing me in for a hug.

"I didn't know we invited two thirteen-year-old girls," Aaron jokes from behind me, leaning on the wall. The girls giggle again, their boyfriends chuckling.

After inviting everyone in, the girls and I obsess over eachother's cute outfits, while the guys talk. I see Aaron nudge Travis's arm, pointing to the kitchen, hinting at the mistletoe.

"Katelyn, Travis will probably try to lead you to the kitchen. Don't listen to him," I advise.

"Why?"

"Mistletoe. I fell for it, I don't want you to," I giggle. Looking back at Aaron, who has obviously caught me in the act, I stick my tongue out. He does the same before yet another sound of the doorbell interrupts our rivalry.

"Hi mom!" I cheer.

"Hey, could you come out here for a second? I have a surprise for you," she says excitedly.

I look back at everyone, excusing myself before my mom drags me out to her car, stopping before it.

"Do you remember Danielle, your cousin?" She asks.

"Yes, I think so."

"She's your father's sister's daughter, you two were close as little kids."

"Yeah, I remember her. She was like a big sister to me." Memories of playing with my older cousin come rushing back to me. We were best friends before everything with my parents happened.

I hear one of the car doors open on the other side of the car, and a woman steps out onto the snowy ground.

I gasp as she looks at me, her beauty taking me by surprise.

"You're... Danielle?"

The woman nods, her smile just as I imagined it. She approaches me, taking my hands in hers.

"You're so pretty!" I exclaim, causing her to blush.

"You're just as adorable as I remember," she says.

There's silence between us, yet surprisingly comfortable instead of awkward.

"There's still more to the surprise," my mom says, breaking the silence. Brooklyn smiles bigger, releasing my hands and opening the back car door. She reaches in, gathering something in her arms carefully.