Chapter 11|Out Running the Shadows

Zoey leads Aaron and I over to one of the rooms, and she opens the door to it. I look at her.

"Wait, so I don't have to sign any papers incase I die in there?" I smile. That's usually how it goes. Zoey just shakes her head. This makes my smile fade away. I was joking...

"No. Just try to relax a little, this particular test is very tiring on the brain," She says seriously. I mean, I was joking, but now I'm a little more worried than I was before. Zoey seems so friendly, but she's been very serious about this certain test.

I glance at Aaron one last time, and he gives me a comforting smile. With that, I walk into the dark room. I try to look back at Aaron and Zoey through the glass, but I just see darkness. I go up to the wall, and I try to figure out what it is. It feels like glass.

Wait...it's a mirror. It's a one way mirror. Zoey said I had to be by myself. And it's so dark in this room, not even the mirror has light to reflect an image.

~Aaron's POV~

I see Aph walk up to the glass, and observe it. She looks through the glass, but not directly at Zoey and I.

"What's she doing?" I ask.

Zoey replies with a whisper, "It's a one way mirror. We can see in, but all she sees is darkness. I know it's harsh, that's why I hate this test so much."

I guess the room isn't sound proof. That would only worsen the aspect of isolation. But as I'm watching Aph, I can see this much isolation is already too much for her. She backs into one of the corners, and puts her head in her knees.

She covers her ears. Zoey writes all of this down in her notebook. This is killing me to watch. Then I hear Aphmau start crying.

"Oh no... poor Aph..." I whisper. I put my hand up to the glass, just hoping she could see me somehow. Just so that she could stop crying. But she doesn't. She looks up at the air like there's something, or someone, standing over her.

I expect her to maybe scream at it, or try to run, but she instead submits to it with just a few words.

"What do you want from me..." She mumbles, "Why me..." She looks back down.

Zoey looks at me, and she quickly writes something in her notebook.

"It's already pretty severe. The hallucinations occurred within a few seconds of being in there, and then she showed self-awareness," Zoey says. I look at her curiously.

"Self-awareness?"

"Yes. She showed that she knows she's in that room. She knows she's in the psychology center, and she knows that it's just a hallucination. Yet, it scares her so much, she cowers into a corner to get away from it. She doesn't know how to fight it," Zoey explains. Then she smiles.

"This is actually good news, because she just gave me my answer. I just need to teach her how to fight it, and how to cope with her fear. So, we can go ahead and stop this test. If you could go in there, and see if she recognizes you?" She asks. I nod.

She opens the door, and I step into the room quietly.

"Aph, it's just me," I say. One light turns on in the ceiling to provide just enough light to see the room. Thankyou Zoey.

~Aphmau's POV~

I hear the door open and close, which causes the shadow to fade away. A light turns on, and I see a tall figure walk in.

"Aph, it's just me," I hear a familiar, deep, soothing voice. My judgement is still shaky, I know it is. I know who that is, but my brain will trick me into thinking otherwise.