Chapter 37|Running Out of Time

"Aphmau! Come on!" I hear Aaron shout ahead of me. We're running, why are we running?

I hear a defending crack from behind me, and turning to investigate, I find myself staring down the barrel of a gun. I try to pick up my pace.

Before I know it, there's another roaring gunshot from a different location. I find myself tripping over a log on the ground, preoccupied with my surroundings. Hitting the ground with a thud, my hearing becomes disabled for a second. Whoever was chasing us is now running away with the other mysterious shooter, darting towards another flock of people.

"Aaron," I call out. "Babe?"

I lift my head up to look, and I spot Aaron standing rather unsteadily on his feet. He's holding a hand over his chest, his face eerily blank.

"Aaron?" I ask, sitting up on my knees.

He doesn't look at me. Instead, he begins towering over, falling without any intention to stop himself. I hop to my feet, racing to him.

"Aaron? Aaron are you okay?" I ask frantically. I pull his head up onto my lap, and he distantly looks up at me. Seeing something red out of the corner of my eye, I look up at his chest.

It's covered in blood. More blood than I've seen in my entire life.

"Aaron?"

Tears start spilling onto my cheeks. Aaron doesn't say anything, but he grabs my hand. We make eye contact, and I can't bring myself to break it.

"They shot you," I whisper to myself. I watch his eyes as they struggle to stay focused.

He's dying.

I lean down and kiss his forhead lightly, and he squeezes my hand weakly. Sitting up again, I look into his eyes. I feel his hand lose its grip, and his eyes no longer focus on me, but on something, rather nothing, in the distance.

I finally let all of my emotion rip through me in a loud cry. I find myself pleading for him to come back.

"We've got another one over here!" I hear a loud, masculine voice in the distance. I look up in terror, and there's a man wielding a gun approaching me.

"No, please!" I plead. He points the gun at my head.

"Don't take this personally."

I grip Aaron's hand one final time before everything goes black.

Suddenly, I find Aaron's arms wrapped around me protectively, and I take in deep breaths like I had been suffocating.

Another nightmare.

I cover my mouth to avoid waking Aaron. To my dismay, he moves his hand in a comforting gesture.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up," I apologize, pressing my head lightly to his chest.

"I was already awake. I had a nightmare," he says in a tired voice.

"I'm sorry, babe," I reply, looking up at him.

"No, it's fine. I'm guessing you had one too?" He asks.

"Yeah," I admit. Just one second of silence brings back unwanted images.  I look away from his eyes. "What happened in yours, if you don't mind me asking?"

Aaron sighs.

"I'm not going into too much detail, but it was awful. There were guns, and you got hurt, and... lots of things I don't want to think about," he explains.

"That sounds horrible. Are you okay?" I ask. I could go on and on telling him about my nightmare, but he doesn't need to worry about me right now.