[xxii] answers

[xxii]

               [niall] [July 23, 2014]

         “Do you want some apple juice?” I asked, pouring myself a glass of the cold beverage, eyeing John from the corner of my eyes. He’d been here for five minutes simply sitting on the kitchen barstool― he said he wanted to talk but not one useful word had been spoken by him. Then I remembered he’s a ghost― or a spirit or soul, or whatever. “I’m sorry, I doubt you can drink apple juice.” I shrugged.

       “Give me that,” He narrowed his eyes. “Just because I’m only visible to you right now and just because I’ve been dead for years doesn’t mean I can’t have human food. I too, feel the need of some delicious food, kid.” He said, as I slowly handed him the glass, and decided to get myself another one.

        “So what’s this important stuff you had to talk about?” I asked, resting my elbows on the counter while sipping my juice.

         “I’ll put you in a blender, juice you, pack you and sell you in shops if you hurt my grand-daughter,” He smiled nicely, making me wonder where he got the idea that I was going to hurt Amber in any way and I started considering at what potential level he could actually hurt me. I mean he’s practically a ghost― and I’m talking to him, and he did threaten to juice me. Maybe he can actually do it.

         “Mr. Clayton,” I cleared my throat. I decided it was wrong to just call him John since he was like― sixty or so years elder than me. “If I had to hurt Amber ever― even before or wherever, do you think I would have fought this almost impossible battle not caring what the consequences are? I’d really like your support right now, you know? You’re practically the only family she has even though she can’t communicate with you in any way except the locket, but I think it would give me a sense of comfort too. Having your elders support you is very important. But right now you don’t really sound like yourself.”

      “That’s because I’ve found something, son,” He placed his hands on the counter. I always used to think that ghosts would be transparent and wouldn’t have the ability to touch things or whatever― basically how they’ve been typically described but here I am, in front of one who’s nothing less than a human. “If you thought I knew everything considering our past conversations and meetings, you’re wrong. All I knew was you’ve got a second chance. And I was sent to help you.”

        “What are you getting at?” I asked, intrigued.

     “What I’m getting at is― my time here is almost over. I had by default given time in hours, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to help you much longer, Niall. I’m meant to look after you and Amber, not necessarily help. I think it’s not new to anyone that this is possibly the hardest time for the two of you. And there’s still some things you need to do before Amber’s completely out of danger― and today I’m going to tell you.”

     “Okay,” I slowly nodded, because let’s be honest, no one likes cryptic John. “Tell me, really do, because I need to know.”