[xiv] john clayton

[xiv]

            [amber] [June 22, 2014]

     “So, we leave tomorrow for Amsterdam?” I asked, with great excitement bursting in my body. To say this was thrilling was an absolute understatement. The fact that I hadn’t been out of England until now and suddenly I’m touring the world, in not believable in any way. But it’s happening. And with people I’m really growing to like.Especially Niall. He laughed at my expression, freely. I find it really nice how he’s outspoken, unreserved, and all that. I always wished I could be like that, but unfortunately I am not. Watching his laughter die down, he nodded.

     “Yeah, we are,” He looked excited himself. His eyes lit up and the blue in them seemed brighter as the topic of touring came up. I could see he really loved what he did, and with a passion. I could just feel it. He told me this is what he wanted for all his life and he’d never trade it for an alternate one even though it can be tiring sometimes. I understand that, I’d never trade it too, if I ever got my dream. I don’t think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’ve always wanted to be a veterinary doctor. It’s a long story, but in short, I’ve had that desire ever since my dog Oreo, [Yes, I named him. I was nine.]  passed away due to a disease very much curable. It was a hard time for me, and that incident made me sure that I wanted to save other peoples’ pets.

    “There’s still a long way to go, isn’t there?” I sighed, as I rested my folded hands on the railing, looking ahead at the pristine, clear water that had reflections of the several colours thrown out by the sun. As said, Niall brought me for the river cruise and I’m happy he kept his word. Even though it wasn’t a promise or anything, yet. Just standing there in even silence was really nice. Calmness, peace and a feeling of soothing was all I would love right now, and I wouldn’t mind a sprinkle of our chatter added in at all.

    “Yeah, but it’s all worth it,” He shrugged, tousling blonde strands of hair with his eyes intently focused in the front while the boat sailed ahead in a moderate speed. Feeling my guts twist by the simple action, I looked away from his face. Considering the heated feeling on my cheeks, I’m not even going to question myself what and why I was feeling like this. I’d be stupid to act like I’m oblivious to myself, so I’m not going to deny that I know I’ve in fact started to like him, maybe just a bit, but I have. And in just like, a week of meeting him. That doesn’t happen to me because trusting has been a huge problem for me, and I don’t know why it’s different this time. “Hey Amber?”

    “Y-yeah,” I cleared my throat, coming out of my daze as I tilted my head to slightly eye him. This time his face was serious now, and it looked like he was under some kind of strain, and like he needed to talk it out. I hoped he’d tell me, but I don’t really have my hopes high. Though just like he’s a great listener, I want to listen to what he has to say as well. “What?” I questioned.

   “I.. I kind of have something to.. say I guess. I mean, it’s a bit complicated. It’s not really easy and it’s really irritating me and I don’t want to be distracted from the whole tour and all but I really am. It’s also creeping me out but um, I just..” He lightly groaned, lightly hitting his clenched fist on the railing. I blinked, calmly waiting knowing he’d continue. “Can you promise not to think I’m crazy? I really want to tell you.” I raised my eyebrows the slightest, but nodded anyway.

   “Yeah, sure...” By the way he was flustered it looked like it was a pretty serious topic, and I found myself getting more interested, but also quite worried. Releasing a deep breath and placing a hand on his heart, with pursed lips, he started speaking.

    “Alright. So um you know how people say there are some individuals who are like… you know, a medium who can connect with… souls?” He said, which I swear was just a little bit louder than a whisper. I nodded, notifying for him to continue, ignoring the hard beating of my heart. I’m not so sure where this is getting at but he’s right, it’s starting to turn creepy. “Well I.. kind of know a man. More like.. see him. Only I do. Yesterday when you came to call me by the river? I was talking to him and you even asked me. I realized you couldn’t see him, and I said I was talking to myself. I t-think.. I could be a medium, you know?” He had his eyes closed by then, as I slowly took in all the information. By the end, I was as flustered as him and the first thing that came to my tongue, I spoke it.