Broken Dreams

Tumblr Request: "Jason x Violinist reader! Whatever you want!"

Based off of Lindsey Stirling's Greatest Showman Medley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGhPGH2YROA)

---

You took a sigh before using your hands to flatten out your dress slightly, looking in the mirror in front of you. Looking down at your feet you felt a hand on the small of your back. "You look great." Your eyes looked into the to see Jason smiling behind you.

Nerves melting away you turned to him with a smile. "Thank you."

"You nervous"

You shook your head and fixed his suit jacket. "Not anymore" He smiled at you and kissed your forehead. "I'll be in the audience, front row. Just look at me if you get nervous." Nodding you kissed him before letting him go find his seat.

Glancing at the mirror one more time, you picked up your violin and bow to make your way to the stage. You stopped before being visible, across the stage sat a piano with your partner in this medley. Taking one last deep breath you strode onto the stage, an air of confidence about you.

Nodding to your partner before facing the crowd. Despite the lights in your eyes, yours connected with Jason's. He gave you a thumbs up and a smile.

You brought the end of your violin to sit under your chin as your other hand moved to bring the bow to the strings. Making a soft entrance into your medley of the Greatest Showman soundtrack. After the first few notes your partner joined in on the piano. However, as you continued to play, you got lost in it.

With each stroke it overtook you and it became obvious to everyone in the crowd why you were well known for your talent if being a violinist. Each stroke took your body with it, almost like you were dancing with your violin. Whenever you played it was pure passion and instinct.

People not only got to watch you play. They got to watch as your soul took form in your music and it is the most amazing thing most people see. Violin has gotten you through everything, when you first came to Gotham you played your violin on the street for money, then you met Jason through playing on the street, next you played at his father's gala, now you were filling concert halls. Your playing tells your story, open to close.

As you held out that last note, the world faded back in and as your violin lowered everyone rose. Roars of applause filled your ears as you took a bow with your partner before exiting the stage.

Jason had raced back and caught you on the way to your violin case. His arms wrapped around you in a tight embrace. "God babe that was gorgeous." You laughed and looked up at him, cupping his face. "Thank you."

He smiled and kissed you deeply. "Let's go home." Nodding you kissed him again before putting away your violin and leaving with him to head home.

But you'd never make it there.

You woke up to the blinding lights of a hospital suite. Blinking to clear your vision, you saw Jason asleep in a chair beside your bed. His arm was in a sling and there was a crutch leaning against his chair.

Your gaze shifted down his body to see his foot in a boot. Shifting you attempted to sit up but your arms felt heavier than normal, finally your gaze moved down. Both your arms and hands were in casts. Immediately your breathing labored as your eyes darted around frantically. "Jason... Jason!"

At the sound of his name Jason immediately woke up and was at your side in seconds. "Baby? Hey hey I'm here."

"M-my hands" You looked down with tears in your eyes. Jason sighed and cupped your face. "What happened?" Asking as he met your eyes.

"After your performance, we were in a car accident. Some drunk bastard ran a red light and he t-boned us. The car flipped and it was pretty bad. They had to use the jaws of life to get you out, I...I'm so sorry baby."

You shook your head and leaned into his touch as he wiped away your tears. "H-how long was I out?" Sighing he stroked your cheek, "A little over a week. You had a some head trauma, that's why you're having the amnesia about what happened."

Just then a doctor came in, he paused at the sight of you awake. "Miss [L/n] you're awake. How are you feeling?"

"I...I'm kinda tired and my head hurts." You answered and looked down at your hands. "So do my hands." The doctor nodded and looked at your chart. "We'll switch your pain medications to accommodate that headache more. Do you have any questions for me?"

"Will I be able to play my violin again?" You asked almost instantly. The doctor's expression turned a little somber. "We can't be sure until your casts come off, however, we did detect some nerve damage in your hands. Only time can tell." You nodded before he turned to leave. "I will come back to check up on you soon.

Once he was out of the room, a sniffle escaped you before hiding in Jason's neck. Jason's arms wrapped around you and held you close. He rubbed your back and tried his best to soothe you, of all people Jason knew how important the violin is to you. "You'll make it through this, the doctor said it's still possible."

"B-but what if it's not? What if I can never play again?"

Jason stayed silent, he wasn't sure what to tell you. "I'm sorry baby" was all he could say before you started crying in his neck again. And he tried so hard to comfort you, but he knew without your violin it'd be hard for you to be you. So, he swore to somehow help you keep playing, no matter what.