CHAPTER 80: The first fall

Start from the beginning

"And he hasn't been on any jobs. I've been with him." Frisk said, crossing her arms, and looking at the monitor screen Alphys was now holding in the size of a small tablet. "So, what are his stats? What caused him to lose HP so fast? I've never seen that except in poison." Frisk said, scooting closer to Alphys to take a look.

"H-His stats are 0.8/1 HP. He's healed tremendously, despite the c-condition he was in earlier." She said, shifting her glasses upward and tapping a few things on the keypad. "S-see?"

That's it. That's the one thing I can't stand is people seeing my stats!

"HEY!" I yelled finally, grabbing everyone's attention. I sighed, letting the excess air out and inhaling again once I finally had all of their undivided attention. "Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on here?!"I yelled again, clearly annoyed at all of this attention I was getting from the three of them.

"Why don't you explain yourself?! We're all here because Papyrus found you passed out in an Alleyway with 0.4 HP!" Frisk said, angrily. "It continued to decrease when I told him to get Alphys! You were at 0.1 by the time she got here and managed to get you stabilized!"

What the hell is she talking about?! Is she mad I left her to go find Papyrus?! I don't remember anything after...

"I don't remember any of that! The last thing I remember is using my magic to jump to Papyrus when he was walking outta Muffet's!" I yelled back, causing the monitor in Alphys' hands to beep a few times loudly.

"CAN WE ALL JUST STOP FIGHTING?!" Papyrus yelled, dominating over me and Frisk's argues. "SANS, FIX YOUR TIE. FRISK, LET HIM TALK. ALPHYS, EXPLAIN HIS SITUATION TO HIM SO THAT HE KNOWS HOW DIRE THIS IS." Papyrus huffed, putting his hands on his sides and sighed a bit.

She started it..

There was a moment of silence before Alphys finally spoke up. "L-Listen, Sans, I think I may have found the way this c-creature hunts." She said. "A-All of Chara's victims had a darkness growing in their s-souls. That's t-the black lines that form in t-the soul." She continued. "A-All of this was beginning to happen t-to your soul. The c-color had faded, and the darkness, or h-hatred, would be the proper term, had started to begin taking over your t-trait. I'm surprised y-you didn't grow a split p-personality as Frisk did." She said, twiddling her thumbs slightly. "I-I think she shows her victims s-so much hatred, that the host literally d-destroys themselves."

When had Chara—
Now that I think about it, I had been feeling very angry towards others more than usual. Maybe the agitation was the first stage? Should I tell Alphys about the evil double? That could be my version of Chara for all I know.

"Your soul looked like a barcode, Sans." Frisk said, who had calmed down a bit. "It was really corrupted. Have you hated a lot recently? That's what feeds the corruption." She said. "You're lucky we were able to extract most of it out of your soul. That's the only reason why you healed. It was killing you."

"S-shes right." Alphys said, holding the tablet tightly. "You could have d-died."

How could I have been so oblivious?! I couldn't figure this out sooner?! This makes me so irritated! I h
I can't think like that.

"I think I just need to rest." I said. "Hand me the paper that's on the coffee table? Papyrus usually grabs it for me when he comes home from his job." I asked Frisk, who was sitting next to the paper on the coffee table. She looked down at it, and back up at me. Her face grew into a scowl and began to say something, taking a sharp inhale. "Please, Frisk?" I said, causing her to stop. "I.. I just need to calm my nerves. Take it all in, ya know?" I couldn't look at her without being reminded of that dream I had. I couldn't get it out of my head.

She sighed and grabbed the newspaper, unfolding it and glancing at it before giving it to me. I reach out to grab it, before she stops, pulling her arm back towards her, reading the headline on the front page. "What the..." she whispered.

"Frisk, I mean it. I just wa—" I tried to say, unable to move from the needle in my everywhere. My voice cut off at the immense pain of the needles moving in my bones and my soul. "Fris—"

Fuck that hurts.

"C.H.E.S.S. has fallen!" She exclaimed, holing the paper with two hands.

"What?" I asked, wondering if I had heard her right.

"Over night, the largest Mafia in the country has fallen in seemingly one night. Mafia leader Alex Henson was assassinated just hours before the organization crumbled downhill." She recited from the headline, reading more into this. "Who the hell—-" She said, before looking up.

It was her. And there was no doubt about it.