CHAPTER 60: The Voicemail

Thx Nikki_7842 for this idea about the secret laboratory in C. H. E. S. S.!

"If we're going to continue with this project, then we need to keep his laboratory out of sight from the other members."
"I've called Max over to build a mechanism to separate this laboratory from the other. They'll be back to back, but no one will know of it's whereabouts."

"A mechanism?"

"Yes. Only Alex, Max and the other laboratory staff are welcome to this lab and is under strict security."
"You have to use this."

"A chess piece?"

"Correct."
"Each chess piece represents one of the laboratory staff, while Alex is the king. As the head of the science department, I will be the queen, and so on and so Fourth."

"Can't the members just use other chess pieces to get in?"

"No. Each piece has an encrypted DNA scanner to scan who is picking it up. And will only work for it's designated owner."

"Max is a genius, as always."

"He is very talented."

"I agree. However, when will we release Frisk from 24-hour observation?"

"Frisk will be fine. Her 9th birthday is coming up. Almost a year in 24 hour observation has drove the other persona away."

"She's scared?"

"No. She's planning something."
"I can feel it coming. And it's big."

"How can an 8 year old plan something so much so it's shaking your nerves?"

"You don't know what she's capable of."

——

Sans POV:

The large crowds of monsters in the cafeteria suddenly became overwhelming and too uncomfortable to bear in the stressful situation that was currently happening.

I just lost Frisk. No big deal. She just doesn't know where to go or what her surroundings are.

When I thought to myself, it didn't make the situation any better for my 'adrenaline' that was pumping throughout my bones.

"FRISK!!" I called again, my voice seemed quiet and muffled with the loud, echoing voices of the dining hall.

I wasn't afraid of her getting lost, I had realized in my panic. I wasn't afraid that monsters would pick on her if she were human.

No.

I was afraid that she would go back to
C. H. E. S. S.. The organization that betrayed her in the first place.
I was afraid of the information that she held within her mind, that could easily lead to the whole Mafia's downfall.

I guess I never really trusted her in the first place..
I've always had that guilty thought in my head. Always worrying that she'd turn her back on me- on the Mafia.

"Frisk wouldn't do that." I mumbled to myself aloud, trying to reassure myself, and calm myself down.

If I were Frisk, where would I wander off to?
More like if I were Frisk, why would I wander off?

Was she taken?

She wouldn't leave my sight. She's smarter than that.

Suddenly my phone jolts me back into reality, and pulled me back out of my treacherous thoughts.
I quickly shoved my hands into my pocket to pull out my vibrating phone.

An unknown number appeared across the screen, confused, I pressed the accept button with hesitancy.

"Hello?" I said, obviously panicked. There was a moment of silence on the other end and a cheerful voice came through on the other line.

"Hello! Is this Sans?" A cheerful lady called from the other end.

This voice sounds familiar. Where have I heard her?

"Yes. What do you need?" I said, narrowing my eyes and stepping outside where I was a bit quieter for the phone call.

"This is the Inn Keeper, the monster at the front desk to the dormitories. I had to get your number from the records." She sighed a bit and continued. "I wanted to let you know that a strange girl came to me and requested to go to your apartment." She said in a hushed tone.

I stiffened and exhaled a sigh of relief, knowing that she was somewhere close, and not off to
C. H. E. S. S.

"Papyrus is in at the moment, but I had to let the owner of the apartment know that a guest was visiting. I have already buzzed her in, is that alright with you?" She said.

How did she remember the way so quickly? At least she's with Papyrus. They get along pretty well.

"Yeah. Yeah. I lost her a few minutes ago, I'm not sure how she got to the apartments so fast, but I'll be on my way. Thanks." I said in reply.

"No problem, I am just doing my job." She said with cheer.

"Alright. See you in a few." I hung up and put my phone back into my pocket.
I started my walk towards the apartments with my usual lazy posture, with my hands shoved into my pant pockets.

I had mixed feelings over this entire thing of her disappearing so suddenly like that on my in the dining hall.
On one hand, I was angry that she fell out of my sight and ran from me when she had the chance, yet on the other hand relieved, because it could have been that she got lost, and instead of getting more lost, she headed back to the place that she knew I would be heading to at the end of the day.

I would have to give her a stern talk when I got back to the apartment anyways because of her little act. She would have to tell me what happened.

Was frisk that much of a wanderer? I would have to keep an eye on her more.
Only because she's new and could get lost easily.

Walking into the lobby of the apartment complex, I was greeted with a friendly hello from the Inn keeper, and she buzzed me in towards the elevator of the rooms.

"Take care of her now." The bunny said with a smile. "Some humans are not what they seem."

I gave her a questioning glance, but turned my head and kept walking into the elevator. I pressed the level for Snowdin's residents and begun descending down the levels.

It took me a while to notice my phone's silent buzzing once again in my pocket. While the elevator came to a stop, I picked up my phone and noticed I had one missed call from Alphys.

I must have just missed it. I thought to myself as I walked towards my apartment and jingled the keys to unlock the door.

I lazily pressed the voicemail recording that appeared as a notification, seconds after the call was missed. There was a steady silence.

Putting the keys into the lock, I pressed play, to hear the panicked voice of Alphys.
"S-Sans! You n-need to g-get out of there!" Her voice called through the recording of the phone.

I opened the door, still listening to the recording, intrigued by the sudden message t was giving off.

"T-That's not Frisk! T-The girl who c-came out wasn't OUR F-Frisk!!" Alphys' panicked voice echoed through the phone.

But I wasn't listening.

I only stood in the doorway in horror, as the hand holding the phone dropped to my side, so I couldn't hear it any longer.

I was only worried about one thing.

The red scarf in the middle of my living room, that was surrounded by dust.

——