o21: Don't Call This Love

Start from the beginning

Defense Against the Dark Arts went as it usually did; all they did was copy the book. There was no need to think in the class and Melissa had gathered nothing from the book, forgetting most of the information she copied down after the class was let out.

When classes were over for the day Melissa headed to professor McGonagall’s office hoping she would give her another lesson. As she reached the door to her office, her hand froze before knocking on the door. She could hear McGonagall inside arguing with Professor Umbridge. So she quickly knocked on the door and the talking ceased inside. The door opened by itself and Melissa walk in with a smile on her face.

“Ah, Ms. Penbrooke, we were just discussing you.” She said, holding her pink clipboard tight against her chest. Melissa’s eyes looked at McGonagall, not knowing why exactly they’d been discussing her. The professor’s nostrils were spread widely as she glared down at the stubby pink woman, as though she smelt particularly nasty. “I demand to know what takes place during your meetings with Professor McGonagall.” She said sweetly.

“She reads over my homework and essays.” Melissa lied quickly and perfectly. “I would like to be a Transfiguration teacher one day, so I try to retain everything I can from her and the books, Professor Umbridge.” Melissa said with a smile. McGonagall cocked an eyebrow at the girl, surprised that she’d managed that explanation so quickly.

“Every Saturday?” Umbridge inquired, not believing any of it.

“Yes,” Melissa answered.

“I hear you are being taught material far above your level.” She said, staring Melissa down.

“I will admit I have knowledge of higher level transfiguration material, but none of which was taught to me by Professor McGonagall.” She said, still smiling through it all.

“Then how would you explain it?” she huffed, becoming upset with the situation.

“I read books and copy down the information for maximum retention, Professor. That’s what you’ve been teaching us.” Melissa said smiling. McGonagall smirked behind Umbridge’s back, holding back a fit of laughter.

“I suppose it is, Ms. Penbrooke.” Umbridge said with a sickly sweet smile and left the office, shutting the door softly behind her. Neither Melissa nor Professor McGonagall spoke until they were sure she was far out of earshot.

“That was fast thinking, Ms. Penbrooke,” McGonagall said as she sat at her desk.

“Thank you,” Melissa said and set her bag on the ground. “I was hoping to get in a couple more lessons before Holiday.” Melissa said with a hopeful look.

“Are you done holding yourself back, then?” McGonagall asked and Melissa nodded her head. “Very well,” McGonagall said and stood up.

The Room of Requirement was filled with the sound of students hitting the floor and laughs, along with a couple cheers. They were still all on stunning. Melissa didn’t feel the need to join in and sat in the corner of the room, looking up occasionally to make sure Luna was alright. She spent the time drawing in her sketch book pictures of the girl from her dreams. It was nearly completely filled with them. The girl’s face had been burned into her mind and she saw it every time she closed her eyes.