oo6: Belief of Fear

Dedicated to those people who have been reading this crap even during my absence. =)

***

The Great Hall was steadily filling up with students all hungry for lunch. The house tables blurred, students sitting where they wanted with friends from all the different houses. Melissa looked around and saw Cassie with Blaise and Malfoy, flirting shamelessly with both of them. Malfoy’s eye caught Melissa and she gave him a small smile before looking for Ayanna. She was over at the Gryffindor table with Luna and Ginny. Melissa sighed, hating to sit at the Gryffindor table. However, she didn’t want to watch Cassie chat up Blaise and Malfoy either, so she reluctantly headed over to Ayanna. Before she sat down Ayanna snapped at her.

“You left a bruise.” She said bitterly.

“Well you were being thick.” Melissa said simply with a shrug and sat beside Ginny. She had no issue with this particular Gryffindor. She was a smart girl that had done nothing to deserve ridicule, not yet anyway.

“He was being unfair!” Ayanna exclaimed defensively.

“Yani, I’m not disagreeing with you.” She said with an unbelieving laugh as she grabbed a kidney pie. “But it doesn’t really matter what we think. Potter knows Snape has it out for him and still he does stupid things… constantly.” Melissa said and Ginny shot her an angrily look. “Oh shut it,” Melissa said, now annoyed with the girl.

“I suppose you are right.” Ayanna said, thinking about what Melissa said. It wasn’t a hard task to follow directions and Potter had messed up a simple task. It was his fault in Melissa’s opinion.

“Harry isn’t stupid,” muttered Ginny defensively.

“I didn’t say her was!” Melissa exclaimed after swallowing a bite of her kidney pie. “I said he did a stupid thing. Just like Yani is bloody brilliant but stood up to Snape, which was a very thick thing to do.” She said turning her gaze to Ayanna. “So don’t do it again.” Ayanna laugh lightly and smiled at Melissa. Ginny, however, was still glaring intently at her.

“Well, this is awkward. I’ll see you in Defense, Yani.” She said and left the Great hall without finishing her lunch. Divinations was her next class. She liked the class well enough and found Professor Trelawney’s predictions of Harry’s death every other class fairly amusing. She headed up to the North Tower, not wanting to walk aimlessly through the castle. When she reached the silver ladder that lead to the classroom she saw Harry sitting there. She sighed and was going to head back down the steps until he saw her. She couldn’t back down now. She muttered under her breath and walked over to the ladder. The two stayed there in silence and it was killing Melissa.

“Did you not see the instruction or did you just skip it?” she asked and Potter glared at her.

“I didn’t see it.” he said through grinding teeth.

“You should probably get your glasses checked then, just a suggestion.” She said with a shrug and Harry’s face turned red. “I mean yours wasn’t as bad as Goyle’s but then again I don’t really think he can read.” She said shaking her head trying to think of a time the boy had a book in his hand without looking confused.

“Did you come here just to pester me?” he snapped violently.

“Yes, Potter, I wanted to spend my whole lunch hour with you.” She said sarcastically, shaking her head. “Your little girlfriend was bugging me.” Melissa said and Harry looked up at her with a confused face. “The little Weasley girl,” said Melissa and Harry shook his head.

“She’s my best mate’s little sister.” He informed her and the area went cold and silent again. Melissa looked out the window, now knowing what to do. She seemed to upset Harry every time she opened her mouth. However, that’d never stopped her before.