37: Warm Mugs of Hot Cocoa

Nagisa, as usual, was the first to awaken in the morning. Throughout his time as an assassin, he ended up the lightest sleeper, and now the first signs of birds in the morning was more than enough to snap him into the realm of the awake.

Karma followed shortly after, once whatever meager warmth Nagisa still produced vanished entirely and the chill of morning crept in. Usually, the redhead attempted to stubbornly stay in bed for a while longer, but gave up that pursuit after rolling over to try and clasp his husband in a hug, only to find empty space. Now knowing Nagisa was somewhere in the house, awake, he got up to go give that hug, wherever Nagisa was.

An hour or two passed before Iyuka followed in the line-up of awakening. She was more successful in trying to go back to sleep, and it took her around thirty minutes before she gave up and went out in search of breakfast.

Breakfast was well over and the afternoon had already begun by the time Misui woke up, her movements bringing Yumi to awake-ness as well. The two stayed in bed, cuddling and crying and assuring each other that everything was alright now for nearly two hours before finally wrapping themselves in the blanket on the bed and snooping outside to see the others.

Nagisa smiled warmly when they came out and presented them some cocoa he had warmed up. Both women took the mugs with a smile and a soft thanks before sitting down on the couch, still attached at the hip.

Karma smiled at the two before looking down as a small hand tugged on his shirt. Iyuka stood with her arms raised, and Karma gleefully scooped her up into his arms before walking over to stand next to his own beloved.

"I'm glad she's home." Nagisa whispered softly.

Iyuka giggled. "Did Papa beat up the meanies who made Auntie Yumi sad?"

Nagisa smiled and booped her nose. "Yep, and so did Daddy. We're a family, Iyu, we protect each other, just like Papa and Daddy will always protect you."

Iyuka smiled. "And Iyuka will always protect Papa and Daddy too!"

"That's our little girl." Karma said while ruffling Iyuka's midnight coloured hair.

A small chuckle came from the couch, and the Akabane's all turned in unison to see Misui with her hand covering her mouth.

"You guys are such a cute family, even for your, um, professions." Misui complimented. Nagisa smiled.

"It's only me in the less than savoury occupation, Karma's an honest bureaucrat, and Iyu is just a schoolgirl, innocent as can be." Nagisa explained, giggling.

"Well you two have been through a lot. I still remember when you nearly killed all of us that one time with the tentacles." Misui chuckled.

"Whaa? Papa what did you do!?" Iyuka exclaimed.

"Hey! Misui!" Nagisa chided while Misuis merely laughed. Nagisa sighed. "back when I was in high school, I got into a," Nagisa paused, "sticky situation, if you can call it that. Some people didn't like that I had scales and other snake attributes, so they tried to hurt me, and, well, I didn't react too well, but the damage was done. Misui managed to get out the stuff they put inside of me before any lasting damage happened, though."

Iyuka looked down and muttered a quiet "oh" for a moment before looking back up with a small smile. "I like Papa's scales. They're pretty."

Nagisa placed a small kiss on her nose. "Thank you Iyu, that makes Papa very happy."

Karma chuckled. "I love them too you know~"

Nagisa snorted before kissing Karma's cheek. "Yes, yes, love. I know."

Everyone let out small giggles at the couple's antics before all sitting down on the couch together.

As a family.