Chapter Seventy-Eight: Hey, Bitch, What An Honour to Not See You Again

Chapter Seventy-Eight: "Hey, Bitch, What An Honour to Not See You Again."

WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY FUCKING amazing surprise? A coincidence? A call of fate? Did I do something that bad that I need to keep having my past show up in my present; my future?

Why didn't Lacey think to warn me about Taylor coming in? She knows what happened between him and I, yet she let him tag along on this trip. If Taylor doesn't ruin this tournament, the awkwardness definitely will.

"I'm sorry, what?" Maya says, her eyebrows scrunched together in something purely identical to confusion.

"It's my ex," I repeat with a heavy sigh. "I dated him a while back, before I moved to Canada. It's been a few years since I saw him."

Taylor kisses some girl whom I can't see, before he trots off to the hotel entrance–presumably grabbing something.

"Is this going to be dangerous?" Carly questions. "Because I really don't take well to violence."

"I hope not." I say unsurely, not even believing the words coming out of my mouth. Taylor's presence here could change this whole week and I honestly have no idea how Landon will respond. He may be pissed, he may be fine, but how am I supposed to know? What I do know, is that I don't want him here and I plan to stay as far away from that man as I physically can.

"Shh! Here they come!" Maya hisses, and plasters on a smile to help greet my friends.

"Oh boy," I hear Becca mutter. "This is going to be interesting."

"Brookie!" Lacey exclaims from a few feet away, going from a brisk walk to a near-jog. As soon as she's within arms reach, she outstretches her arms and yanks me into her body, nearly colliding with the group behind me because of how strong her force of grip is.

"Lace," I say with a nervous breath, "it's good to see you!"

"Yeah!" she giggles. "I've been waiting to see you since you left."

"Me too," I smile. Though I'm kinda upset with her right now, I still can't deny that I missed my best friend dearly.

I pull Lacey to the side; far from our groups. They meet all in a giant human cluster, doing their introductions and even exchanging a hug or hand shake.

I don't fail to notice Landon excluding himself from the mob, looking less than enthralled when he sees my rebellious ex-boyfriend.

I call him over; he's safer with me than by himself. "What is he doing here?" he asks with a huff. "I thought you were done with him?"

"I don't know what he's doing here," I answer honestly. "I'm not very happy about it, either. Lacey?" I direct my question to her, waiting for a response as to why such a problem maker is touching the same ground I currently am.

"Look, I'm sorry he's here but I promise that he isn't here to cause you or your relationship trouble. He wanted to be here to cheer us on. He also met another girl, and she plays on the volleyball team as well. He means no harm, Brooklyn."

"Lacey, you know how I feel about him!" I exclaim exasperatedly. I don't think she understands the fact that just because we share the same friend group, doesn't mean he can tag along to all of our group hangouts. He's caused too much trouble with me and I don't want the bad karma following me home. "We left on not-so-good terms and Landon is here."

"It's not my fault," she retorts. "I tried to tell you, but you just kept giggling. Then, you continued to flirt with Landon and hung up on me."

"I was not flirting. He was being an ass."