Chapter Forty-Four: Party Nerves

Chapter Forty-Four: "Party Nerves."

I NEEDED GLASSES.

I was prescribed a pair that helped with short and long distances so I didn't have to wear them at different times, so now they're an always-on set. We got a deal, so now I have sunglasses that are the same prescription for when it's sunny out.

Landon was right, though, I do look pretty good with frames if I do say so myself.

The great thing is, is that I can actually see far again, and that's all I'm thankful for.

It's Friday, the day of the party at the McGibbon residence.

For the rest of the week, I was unbothered by the populars. Mary was at school, but she seemed livid every time she looked at me. Surely she should have realized that it wasn't my fault for Annabelle getting suspended, but then again, Annabelle could have easily brainwashed her.

I sat with the McGibbon boys and their three friends, and to be honest, I enjoy their company quite a bit. I may even like them as much as the guys I used to hangout with, and they were pretty cool. I still, however, have made the promise to not have friendships to prevent further heartache. I'm not going to explain myself to these people, unless somehow, someway, I get very close naturally. I'm not going to purposely involve myself. To them I may be an outsider, but I don't care, I'm not sharing my story or anything about myself that can ruin me in the end.

I, however, might explain it to Maya. She seems to be in the exact same position as I was with Taylor, and knowing that she could ruin her life like I did with mine, if I can talk to her about avoiding prison, then I'll do it. And I'm under the impression that most people know who she is, or that she doesn't care if people know that she's involved with a gang, because Landon seemed to mention it casually and she reacted casually.

Or maybe they told them more about me than I thought.

Maya, on the other hand, seemed very interested in me and asked me if I wanted to get ready for the party at her house. I hesitantly accepted, and now here I am, at Maya's house in the city, staring at a bunch of clothes laid out on her bed to help her decide what she wants to wear tonight.

"I say no to that one," I say, pointing to a darker orange miniskirt. "It makes your hair look dull and honestly, with your hair colour, it screams 'Halloween!'"

"That's kinda the point," Maya laughs.

I bite my lip. "Shit, I forgot. See it's freezing outside and I'm not used to this so I automatically think it's, like, Christmas."

She giggles, and grabs a black, low rising tank top, with fishnet leggings.

How in the hell is she going to wear that without dying from hypothermia?

"What are you going to wear?" She asks after she changes clothes.

"Um, I don't know. Probably four pairs of sweatpants and sweaters." I shrug.

She laughs as she throws her clothes from earlier in a hamper. Her room is any normal teenagers room: posters of bands and celebrities, slightly messy yet organized, and very private. There's a twin sized bed in the center above a window, and a small desk in the corner across from it. Her room is painted a soft green, making the whole space pop. It's a lot smaller than my room, though.

"You're funny," she grins, "but seriously, what will you wear? Because I refuse to accept you wearing that."

I look down at my attire today. I felt lazy today so I sufficed for a pair of creamy white track pants and a maroon baggy sweater. My muscles are still a little sore from my long walk last week, but they're getting better.