Chapter Thirty-Seven: Needs Overpower Wants

Chapter Thirty-Seven: "Needs Overpower Wants."

I NAPPED for the rest of the day.

I was exhausted, and not just from the past two weeks. The surgery made me really sore and drowsy, and I tried to sleep as long as possible because I knew that at one point, I'd need to return to that Bed from Hell. Landon said he talked to his mom and she agreed with him on getting me a new mattress.

I hear faint voices, and that's when I know I'm coming to.

I open my eyes slowly, a groan coming from my lips. It sucks how I can only sleep on my back, especially because I always sleep on my right side, which is definite no-no on the doctors charts.

I see all the McGibbon members scattered around my room. Lance is at my feet, the twins are on the couch across from the bed, Louis is sitting on a chair in the corner, and Lucas is on the chair beside me.

"Brooklyn!" Lucas whispers happily. "Are you okay?"

I smile. "Nice Spanish, buddy," I say softly. "Yes, I'm alright."

Lucas has been doing phenomenal with his Spanish. I've been teaching him maybe once or twice a week, depending on how busy I am with chores or school. Though, I guess with my appendicitis, I'll be bedridden once again until I'm better enough to go to school. Stupid appendix and bear.

"Hey," the boys greet softly in unison. It's weird hearing them all speak nicely and in such a caring manner. The whole time I've been at their house they were always loud and obnoxious in a teasing way, and now it's foreign to me.

"Hey." I smile back. Lucas squeezes my hand, and I squeeze his back weakly. "Is my dad here yet?"

"No, not yet." Lance replies.

I frown at this. Could I have only slept a short amount of time? Is that why? "How long have I been asleep?"

"Sixteen hours," Landon answers. "He was coming from Australia, though, he said. He called not too long ago saying he'll be late because incoming flights in Toronto were delayed."

I nod in understanding. "So how much longer?"

"A few hours, anyway." He says with a frown. "He's coming, though, Blue. I promise."

"What time is it?"

"Maybe five in the morning?" Lance shrugs.

My eyes widen. "So why are you all here? Shouldn't you be at home and sleeping?"

"We're assholes sometimes, but it doesn't mean we don't care about you, you idiot." Louis scoffs.

Huh, well that's something new. I figured that they didn't care at all.

"You all should go home and rest." I say after a few minutes.

"We're okay." Lucas says. "I want to stay."

"How long have y'all been here?" I ask.

"Maybe since seven last night," Lance guesses.

My eyes widen. "Go back and get rest, seriously. All of you."

"But–"

"Don't make me kick you out." I warn.

"Fine." Lance says. "Come on Lucas, let's get you home."

"But I want to stay with Brooklyn!" He pouts, squeezing my hand. I can see the bags under his eyes and how exhausted he looks. He looks like he stayed up all night waiting for me to wake up.