"Well, I'm glad my two best friends are already getting along," she chirped optimistically. "John also loves physics. He's really good at chemistry, too."

"Yeah, I think there's some chemistry right here," he purred, gesturing between himself and Rose. Rose burst out laughing and so did he. Jodie's laugh was more forced. "I'm sorry, Rose," he giggled. "It was right there."

"No, it's okay," she promised, her voice still shaky with laughter. "But I'm glad you're good at physics because I'm rubbish at it. You and Jodie can do it. I'll just pretend to help."

"Sounds brilliant," Jodie said as John said at the same time,

"Sounds fantastic."

They looked at each other, grinning crazily. They really were siblings. And if Jodie let her natural hair color grow out, it would be even more believable.

"So, Rose, are you going to kiss Jodie again today?" came a voice. Rose whipped around to find its source. It was Jimmy Stone. "Have you finally come out as a lesbian?"

"Not a lesbian, not kissing Jodie," she called nonchalantly. Jimmy scoffed.

"Why not? It was hot."

"Hello, Jimmy!" John said cheerily. "How've you been? Sorry, don't really care. Now fingers to lips, class is starting."

What John said was so weird that Jimmy had no idea what to do next, so he just sat down, casting sidelong glances at John.

"Hello, you chitlins," Mr. Gendreau said loudly. "We have a new student today, John Smith, and he will be working with Jodie and Rose. Get going on the assignment."

"Is it the same as yesterday's?"

"Does a bear poop in the woods?"

People began to bustle around the classroom, grabbing Bunsen burners, goggles, aprons, and chemicals. Jodie got the Bunsen burners and Rose and John got the goggles and aprons.

"So what's a chitlin?" John asked. Rose exhaled.

"I really don't know. And he either says "Does a bear poop in the woods?" for yes and "Does a bear poop in the Pope's hat?" for no."

"Really?" John asked. Rose nodded. He nodded in appreciation. "Interesting."

"Nah, he's just weird," Rose explained, pulling the apron over her head. John did the same.

"Well," John shrugged, "the best people are."

She smiled up at him. Everything about him was so warm and inviting. Rose had missed him more than she was willing to admit.

"Rose, John, come on!" Jodie yelled, snapping the two of them out of their trance. She seemed salty as they walked up. "John could you please measure out the calcium chloride and I'll do the baking soda. Rose, please turn on the Bunsen burner."

She made it so she was standing between the two of them.

"Jodie, you okay?" John asked. She nodded sharply. "Okay."

The rest of class passed tensely. Rose and John wanted to talk, but the obvious anger in Jodie's eyes stopped all conversation. The bell rang and they cleaned up quickly because Mr. Gendreau was somewhat incompetent and didn't pay attention to anything other than his Diet Mountain Dew.

Jodie departed for AP English and Rose made her way to AP World History. John was following her.

"So, where are you going?" she asked, scowling down so she could walk with him.

"AP World," he answered. "What about you?"

"Me too!" Rose said a bit more excitedly than she meant to. "And if we walk in talking, Mrs. Newcombe will probably let us sit together because you're the new kid and she'll want to make you feel welcome. So just stand by me."