I Want to See You Smile

We're Walking the Wire, Love

M A Y

"Kyle!" I said the moment I saw him at the airport.

"Mans!" he shouted from thirty feet away.

He started running towards me. I walked fast towards him, watching as he held his long arms wide open. When we met in the middle, he picked me up by the waist, lifting me high in the air. Then he placed me down, hugged onto me tight, and kissed me hard. His lips never felt better on mine.

"Kyle," I whispered.

"Oh Mandie," he squeezed me tight. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too." I said, hugging him with my head on his chest. He kissed me again.

I felt his long pianist fingers run in my hair, and then over my face. "You're so beautiful. I have something to show you."

He rolled up the black sleeve of his zip up hoodie. On his right arm was a delicate, beautiful tattoo of a Hindu mandala. I felt myself blush, and warm tears flooding out.

"Kyle

"Kyle...it's beautiful. It's just perfect."

He smiled, placing his hand on my cheek. "I wanted a piece of you on me all the time."

I kissed him softly. "I love you Kyle."

"I love you more, Princess."

When we got to the house, we waisted no time together. I couldn't stay away from him for even two minutes. He kept kissing me and holding onto me.

"We're going to have so much fun this summer. So much fun, baby."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Festivals. Parties. Maybe even a holiday. You and me."

I started to get unnerved. "Y...yay."

"What's the matter?"

"N-Nothing." I said. "Sounds great. What could be better, right?"

"Exactly." he said smoothly, leaning forward and kissing me lightly.

Within the next hour, we lied together, nothing but the covers while everything else ended up on the floor. My head rested on his chest, and he ran his fingers through my hair. I didn't feel like talking. The whole thing of him bringing overwhelming things to my knowledge startled me. Maybe it was my social disability that made the normal things scare me. I couldn't let it put a disturbance in my relationship. For Kyle, I would put up with anything.

"Mans, why are you so quiet?" Kyle whispered.

"I'm not, Kyle. I'm just...glad you're finally back for a while."

"Mans, did I miss something?" He sat up, leaning against the wall.

I pulled up as well, wrapping the covered over my chest. "No."

"I know you're lying. Please tell me."

I hesitated. "I've gone through a bunch of different...feelings lately."

His widened widened. "Do you not want to be together anymore?"

"No! It's not like that, Kyle. Not at all. I love you, and you've never done anything to hurt me."

"Then what is it?"he caressed my shoulder.

"Life. My family. Work. That terrible visit from Morgan. I feel sour."

"Sour?"

"Yes. I have these rotten vibes, and I can't even begin to see a reason why."

He rubbed the side of my neck. "Well Mandie, if there's anything I can do to help, tell me. I'd do anything for you."

I planted my fingers in his beard. "You've already done enough, Kyle. If it weren't for you, I would either still be living with my mum, or actually be taken to the mental home."

"But I want you to be happy, Mans. I want to take care of you."

"I am happy." I said. "Happiest I've ever been. Whether it's calling you mine, or living in the capital, or having more people in my life that I trust, I'm happy."

Kyle
A few days had passed, and I was worried about Mandala. Something about her was different. She wasn't smiling as much as I was used to, and that hurt because I absolutely loved her smile.

We spent our days locked together. Whether it was taking care of the garden together or going for walks in the meadow, or going into town, I refused to let go of her. Her hand was always latched into mine. Soft, sweet, and dainty. Everything about her was.

When she was at work, I was at the studio with Dan. Him and I spent a lot of time talking about relationships. Usually, he did that with Woody, since those two were the only ones in the band that were married and each had a baby. I typically talked to Will, but not today.

"I've never seen you fall so hard for someone like you are with Manda." Dan said.

I looked around the hallways and other room, making sure no one else was listening. "You're right, Dan. I've never loved anyone like I love her. She's nothing like any other girlfriend I've ever had. Do you ever feel like that with Rosie?"

"Absolutely. The night we met, I already had a feeling that she was special. I spent weeks trying to shake off my feelings and just be her friend, because I didn't want to hurt her. My feelings wouldn't go away. That's why I went after her."

"Yeah, that's how it is for me." I said. "I really liked her when I was a teenager, and nothing changed after not seeing her for ten years."

"Call me foolish, but isn't that a sign? I mean, you couldn't move on from her even when she wasn't around, right?"

I nodded. "I don't doubt that we're meant to be together. But I'm scared."

"What are you scared of?"

"That she'll wake up one day and want something else."

"Kyle don't be stupid. She loves you, I can tell by the way she looks at you. There's the same passion and gentleness that I have for my wife. Don't you understand?"

I slowly nodded. "I want to marry her."

Dan's eyes immediately got big. "Are you so serious?"

"Yes." I said. "I want to marry her, but she has one more year of college. I don't want to hold her back."

"Then wait a while, but not too long. Ask her a little before she finishes."

"Great. That gives me time to find her a ring. It has to be perfect."