I'm Going Back to my Roots

Flashback Chapter
November 20, 2004

It was the day after my 15th birthday. I was stubborn and shy, and I usually hid my face. My hair was styled in a French braid, and I wore big glasses. I was nothing like any of the pretty girls at our school, and that's why I never stood a chance with him.

Kyle Jonathan Simmons; my best friend, and my biggest burden. I couldn't look at the boy without wishing I was attractive enough to make any moves. I was 14 and he was 16, and he was funny and outgoing. Total extrovert and ladies man.

He was a good friend, but he never saw me the way I wished he would. Kyle always took up for me and supported me when I needed someone to talk to. I always hung out with him and his friends. He told me that I was like family to him, but that was it.

Why do I love you so much? I asked myself. Because he was funny, gorgeous, and always did the best thing.

We always walked home together after school, since we lived in the same neighborhood. It was nice, even though I could've been riding the bus with my brother and sister. Kyle always stayed on the side of the sidewalk that was closest to the road, making me closer to the grass if a car was to crash into him. He was protective like that, but wild with everyone else. I knew it couldn't be because he liked me like that, because I had seen him kiss other girls.

"Mans, you're awfully quiet today. Did something happen today that I don't know about?"

I shrugged. "It's nothing, Kyle. But thanks for asking."

"Are you sure? Cause you know I can kick someone's ass if they hurt you."

I laughed. "It's fine. I'm just a little stressed out about my exams."

"Don't be, Mans! You're brilliant. You skipped an entire year!"

"Yeah, but it gets harder the older I get."

I felt bad about lying to my friend. What really killed me was him not knowing how I felt. I couldn't torture myself like this, keeping such a secret. But I couldn't risk losing him as a friend if he rejected me. So I forced myself not to think about them.

"I know something that'll make you feel better. Come over to my house. I'm the only one there, besides Mum. My brother's out with Dad and Millie's at a friend's house."

I hesitated. "Sure."

..........

Present Day

I woke up in Kyle's arms, my head rested on his chest. "Mans, are you awake?"

I slowly nodded, feeling his hand rub my back up and down, and realizing that it was bare. It was a weird feeling, coming into reality. Kyle kissed the top of my head.

"You alright?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Last night was...amazing, Mans."

"Yeah, I agree." I said awkwardly, but I knew he could sense it.

"What?" he asked. "You seem off. Did you not like it?"

I raised my head up, facing his. "Of course I did. It was amazing, it's just... I never had a good experience before last night. Morgan was always controlling and mean, so yeah. It's hard to enjoy things like that with a complete jerk."

"Okay," he said, sounding relieved. "For a minute you had me worried. I had this feeling that-"

"No! Of course not, Kyle! I'm great! You're great! You're nothing like him. I know you wouldn't hurt me."

"I wouldn't, Manda. I would never dream of hurting you."

"I know, Kyle. You've always been so caring of me, even when we were just friends."

"I'm always had a soft spot for you, Manda. Only you, and my family, of course."

I laughed. "Yeah, it's just, before four months ago, it's like I was in your cousin-zone. The entire time."

"I should've told you how I felt back then. I never wanted you to feel like my cousin."

"But I did, Kyle. I was just grateful to be as close to you as I already was. And I'm actually kinda glad it's now, and not then."

"Why? If you had been with me back then, you never would've been married to an abusive criminal and-"

"You're family still would've moved away and we would've still lost all contact."

"You're right. But still,there are some things that would've been better."

I kissed him softly. "I like things the way they are now."

"As do I." he kissed me back, tightening his arms around me.

...........

Later that day, Kyle and I went into town. We were meeting with Dan and his wife Rose, which would be my first time meeting her. Kyle latched his hand onto mine.

"There they are!" Kyle pointed towards the couple that became closer and closer into view.

There was Dan, same dark hair and blue eyes, almost as tall as Kyle. He was wearing all black, like always, but layered in long sleeves due to the cold weather of January. Beside him was a woman slightly taller than I, with long curly brown hair and the face of a goddess. I noticed a beach ball shaped bump on her stomach.

"About time, Dan!" said Kyle, wrapping his arms around his friend.

"How long have you been here?" Dan asked him.

"Like three minutes." said Kyle. "But it's freezing out here, which makes it count as ten."

"Shut up, Kyle." Dan laughed. He turned to me. "Good to see you again, Manda. This is my wife, Rosie."

"Hi," she said, with a different accent from everyone else. "I've heard so much about you."

"It's nice meeting you," I said. "where are you from?"

"The U.S.," she said, smiling. "People ask me that all the time."

Things went smoothly. Within an hour, I realized that Dan and Rose were good people to associate with, trust even. Kyle and Dan were more like brothers than close friends, and I admired that. Rose was very sweet and down to earth, which was odd considering she was the most beautiful person I'd ever seen. Surprisingly, we clicked.

When we departed, Kyle took my back to his house. We spent the evening talking and laughing and even joking. He found a bunch of old photos of us as teenagers, and it brought back so many memories.

Eventually, I rested my head on his shoulder and fell asleep. He didn't hesitate to carry me to the bed, wrapping the covers over me. He kissed me on the neck right above the scar, and then lied down next to me. He then wrapped his arm around me, latching on as tight as possible.