Smile Rhymes with Kyle

Manda
All I could do was think about him. Within two months, a memory came back into my life and managed to become the base of my mind. Even when we were apart, he always made me happy. Somehow, Kyle had become very essential to my survival. He was my sunlight in a world of darkness.

"I'll be home soon, Mans." He said as we Skyped on our phones. "Really soon."

"Good." I said. "I miss you."

"I miss you, Princess. I really do. Which reminds me..."

"What?"

"Have you decided about...moving in...with...me?"

"I want to Kyle." I said. "As long as you want me to, I want to live with you."

He smiled. "Good! I'm very excited, Manda! I can't wait to get home!"

I smiled. "Do you have any...rules?"

"No, not really. Usually I tell people to respect my cats, but I'll just have to make sure my cats respect you."

I laughed. "How many do you have?"

"Three. They were all rescued from the dogcatcher."

"That's good, I love cats."

"Anyways, I want you to be happy there. Is there anything I can do to make you feel home?"

"Not really. As long as I'm not living with Susan Queen, I'm good."

........

When I got home from work, I saw my brother's car. I took it as a sign it was time to tell him, too. Kyle was almost as close to Elliott as I was to him at the time, so maybe there would be some approval. Still, El was very protective.

I walked inside and saw him, my sister in law, and Mum in deep conversation in the living room. I tried to make no noise, but I paused when I realized they were talking about me. Luckily, no one saw me, so I hid around the corner.

"Perhaps maybe she should introduce us." said Mother. "I would personally like to meet him before she continues on with this man."

"Of course, Mother." said Elliott. "Kyle was there with the rest of us after the funeral. He's good people, but how he treats Mandala is a mystery."

"He treats me amazingly!" I blurted out, stepping out of the hall.

"Mandala!" my mother looked shocked. "How long gave you been there?"

"Doesn't matter," I replied. "What matters is talking about my romance life behind my back. It's mine. It's my decision."

"You don't want our protection?" my brother asked.

"No! There's nothing to protect me from! He's the one who's protecting me!"

"Are you sure?"

"Kyle watches over me and actually cares for what I have to say!"

"Really, or is it because he's famous and makes a lot of money?"

"Screw you, Elliott! How dare you say that! I love him because he's funny and sweet! And-"

"You WHAT?" both him and Mum said.

"Yes. I love him. He makes me smile, which was impossible before. Impossible around any of you!"

I stormed off and ran up to my room. I slammed the door and locked it behind me. I was angry and I wanted to cry. I hated them for talking about my business and wanting to judge my relationship. I couldn't take it.

I spent about an hour letting out my emotions. I cried, screamed into my pillow, and even drew a bunch of crazy sketches. I wanted to talk to Kyle, but I knew he was in the middle of a gig.

I heard a knock on my door. "Go away, Elliott!"

"It's me," my brother's wife's voice. Adeline. "Please, may I come in?"

"Fine." I said. I slowly stood and unlocked my door. "What do you want?"

"I want to talk to you." She walked in and sat down on my bed. I locked my door back.

"About my love life. I get it."

"No, you don't, Manda. I'm not here to make any remarks. I want to know about it. Woman to woman."

"What do you care? You're super pretty. You got every guy you wanted and then you got to marry a business manager. Point Adeline."

"No, Manda. I want to know about your relationship. What's he like?"

"He's funny, and he's sweet. Kyle doesn't judge the fact that I have Asperger's, and he checks on me at least twice a day."

"Wow. He sounds very different from Morgan."

"He is. Kyle swore that he would never hurt me. He left his gorgeous, brilliant girlfriend for me. That part I don't understand, but I'll take it anyway."

"And you love him?"

"Yes. I love him. He puts happiness back in my heart after Morgan completely destroyed it."

"How so?"

"I can't really explain it. That way he holds me, kisses me, even says my name. Very gentle with me and firm with others. He watches over me like a hawk."

"Awe. How sweet."

"Is that really all you want to know?"

"Not exactly. You see, I don't know the guy. But you're brother knows him quite well, and he's concerned. For you, that is. He doesn't want you to get hurt."

"Even if Kyle hurt me, I'd be okay. At least I know he's not a monster."

"He says Kyle's a little old for you."

"He's only, like, two years older than me. It's fine. We're both adults."

"Just saying, Manda. You better be grateful it's me you're talking to and not your sister Leah. She's far more uptight than I."

"Yes, but I can take care of myself."

Adeline stood up and left the room. "Just be careful, Mandala. As your sister inlaw, I'd hate to see you fall apart the way you did a year ago."

......

Later that night, we texted.

Kyle: Getting on the plane right now. I should be home in the morning.

Me: Great. I'll be at work but I'll come see you afterwards.

Kyle: Or maybe I'll just come and see you.

Me: It's your choice, Kyle.

Kyle: I can't wait to see you again.

Me: Need neither. I miss you.

Kyle: I miss you more. BTW, I want you to meet my family pretty soon.

Me: Okay, no problem! I've missed them all these years!

Kyle: Great. Mum and Dad will be thrilled to see you

Me: Can't wait. Goodnight Kyle💛

Kyle: Goodnight Princess😘