Judge

Manda
While my brother and sister were catching up with their gang as kids, they all came up with the idea to go out for a drink. Jewel and her fiance were invited, but turned down the offer. Unfortunately I had no excuse to do the same. Oh well, whatever. It was good to see all those people after over a decade.

I stayed near Leah the whole time. It was a good thing that her husband sat across from her, so I wouldn't feel so awkward. At least I wasn't being the wallflower. I engaged in conversation with different people, all of which had no idea of what happened between me and my ex. It was nobody's business, but luckily no one asked. However, they had asked why he wasn't invited after the funeral. Secretly, Elliott had personally told him not to, for my protection.

Right before I left, I heard my name called again. I turned to see Kyle once again.

"Kyle," I was stunned. "What's up?"

"Nothing, I just want your number."

"Sure no problem."

One thing led to another, and we ended up walking together. We walked all the way back to the cemetery, which was weird, but I didn't care. We talked for the longest time, although I didn't see why it was me he wanted to associate with. Every time I attempted to excuse myself, he just kept on, like he didn't want this walk to end. We took turns talking about our lives and what happened after he went to Leeds, and I found his story far more interesting than my own.

"You know what's weird?" He asked.

"What?"

"I saw your brother talking to Morgan like he was going to shoot him or something."

"He doesn't like him, that's for sure."

"Any idea as to why? They used to be best friends."

"It's better you not know." I said. He simply nodded.

I turned to my watch to see that it was 7:45 am. Damn it. I had to cook for my mother tonight.

"I have to go," I said. "People will start wondering where I am. It was really good seeing you, Kyle."

"When can I see you again?" He asked me, his brown eyes wide with concern.

"I don't know, I'll try to come to a show of yours."

And then we parted ways. At first, I thought it was okay, but then it started to bother me. I finally got friendly conversation with someone. He wouldn't judge me, because he didn't know what others knew. It bothered me because when we were young, Kyle always listened to everything, and then I never saw him again after he left for UNI. It wasn't as if I was ever any form of a love interest to him. Yeah, he had given me that cute nickname, but that was because he thought my name was a mouthful.

When I got home, my Susan was propped up on the couch. "Mandala. Why, sweetheart, why are you so late? I was getting worried."

"Just talking to old friends." I replied.

"That's good. We're they nice?"

"Mother." I said. "I'm going to start cooking. I'm not very hungry, so I'm just going to take a shower when I'm done."

"No worries, dear."

Susan wasn't like any other mothers. Sure, she loved her children and would do anything for us. She was a successful owner of the diner in town, Queen's, and she spent tons of money on me. Great. But she was a very jealous, very protective, very strict person. She claimed to have had a hard life, and though she meant well, she was completely overbearing.

Every time I tried to move out, she would make me feel guilty about my father dying and her other two getting married. She'd tell the long story of how she failed as a mother when I too got married, and how she thought she'd lost me when my husband had beat me half to death. She said that when she got me back in her arms safe and sound, she promised herself to protect me better for the rest of her life.

When I got out of the shower and into my bed, I thought about Kyle. He had gotten so attractive since last I'd seen him. And tall. He was probably pushing a whole foot more than me. His facial hair made him very unrecognizable, but it suited him.

Don't, my head said.

Kyle
The ride home was rough. It had been two hours since Manda left, and the thought was still tugging me. I shouldn't have been thinking about her, but I couldn't get her off my mind. She was beautiful. She was bright. There was something about her that my girlfriend didn't have.

"How was the funeral?" Dan asked me when I arrived.

"Alright. It didn't last long."

I wanted to tell him. I wanted to tell someone about the feelings I felt when I looked at her once. There was no other feeling like what I felt when I was with Manda, not even with my girlfriend...