I Would Spin You Around

Another Flashback:

March 17, 2006

I was 16, and he had recently turned 18. I still had feelings for him, but I learned to shut them out. We would never be more than "cousins".

I walked by myself in the hallway in between classes. My appearance had changed a little, but I still looked stupid. I lost the braces and always wore a bandana tied in a bow. Still, I was insecure.

"Mans! Mandie wait up!" I heard Kyle yelling from behind me.

I turned to see him running after me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Hi, Kyle." I said. "How's your Thursday?"

"Great, but yours will be better in a second. You're never going to believe this."

"What?"

"So the prom committee needed a photographer, and they personally wanted a student to do it. And I happened to know one, and I talked them into it, so you're going to prom!"

"What?! I already skipped buying a ticket. I can't go to prom!"

"I know, but now you can. And you're going, Mandie!"

"Kyle...no! I can't. Even if it's just to take everyone's pictures, I can't."

"Oh come on! You have to months to find a dress and-"

"No! No dresses, no photos, no prom. Kyle, that's just an accident waiting to happen."

"No it's not, Mandie. I'll be there, some of our friends will be there, your sister. I even heard that your friend Jewel will be there! You have nothing to worry about, sweetie."

I hesitated. "You're not gonna let me get out of this, are you?"

"Nope. Not a fucking chance. You're going!"

I breathed heavily. "Whatever."

I spent those two months saving up for a dress and preparing. I had been working in my mother's diner and saving my paychecks, so there was nothing to worry about. She even took Leah and I to get manicures. My sister wore a strapless red dress and I wore a spaghetti strap dark blue dress that came down to my knees.

I grabbed my big camera and we walked out the door

I grabbed my big camera and we walked out the door. Mother drives us to the prom. I was nervous and afraid of something bad happening. I didn't even want to go, but Kyle made me. He was my best friend, and also the boy I had a hopeless crush on.

When we arrived, I immediately went to the corner where pictures would be taken. I took portraits and group photos for an hour and a half straight. Including Kyle and his two guy friends, Caleb and Bryce. There were some snobby girls that I had to deal with, but I didn't care. I was going to get paid for this, so it didn't matter.

I caught glimpses of Kyle dancing with a really pretty, popular girl. Amelia was her name. Cinnamon hair, violet eyes, a literal queen. She wore a long, sexy black dress. I tried to be happy for my friend, but jealousy stirred up inside me. The fact that Amelia was a complete jerk made me worse. Kyle was better than that. At least in my mind.

A few songs later, I got to put my camera away and join everyone else. I hung out with Jewel and a few guys we hung out with. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Kyle.

"Dance with me, Mans?"

My heart was pounding, I didn't know how to react. "Why?"

"Because you're my best friend, why not?" He smiled, reaching his hand out. I slowly took it.

That was when Toploader's "Dancing in the Moonlight" started playing. My ultimate guilty pleasure of music. I couldn't refuse this one.

We get it on almost every night
When that moon is big and bright
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

Before I knew it, I was slow dancing with my crush. I wanted to blush and scream out loud, but I kept it in. He was about 5'11" back then, and I was 5'3". He looked super good in his suit, my eyes could've popped out of my skull.

"See, you're dancing." He said. "And you're doing I great job."

"Thanks." I said awkwardly.

Dancing in the moonlight,
Everybody's feeling warm and bright
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancing in the moonlight

This was my chance. I wanted to tell him so bad...

I love you Kyle

I want you Kyle

I'm inlove with you, Kyle Simmons

I played out the scenario in my head over and over, but I could never bring myself to do it out loud. I just smiled and pretended to be his cousin.

When the song finished, I hugged him really tight. "That was fun, Kyle. Thank you for getting me to come."

"Anytime, Mandie. I couldn't just come here while you sat at home all night."

"What makes you think that I'd be staying at home?"

"Because that's what you do when you're not hanging out with me."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll see you Monday. Mum wants Leah and I home by nine."

When I walked outside, I was alone. My sister was talking to her group of friends. I heard someone walk up behind me. Amelia.

"Got some good photos, Manda?"

I shrugged. "They look pretty good. All of them."

"Good." she said. She yanked my camera out of my arms. I struggled to fight her for it.

"Give it back, Amelia!"

"Here you go!" She slammed in on the ground, the whole thing cracking against the cement.

"No!" I screamed, my hands flying over my mouth. I bent down to pick it up, but she kicked me on the back, causing my to get dirt on the skirt of my dress. My heart sank.

"You...you...monster!" I cried, my prom makeup bleeding down.

"I may be a monster, but you're a freak. You'll always be a freak." she laughed.

I stood up, not knowing what to say or do. "But...why?"

"Leave my boyfriend alone, Manda! He's mine!"

"He's just my friend! I would never..."

"As if! If you saw the way the boy looks at you, you'd see that you are a tramp! Leave him alone!"

I went home without saying a word. My mum had asked what happened, but I didn't want to talk. I didn't even eat dinner that night. I was hurt, and defenseless. I couldn't fight Amelia, and I certainly couldn't prove her wrong. I was a freak, and I didn't deserve to be friends with Kyle.

That Monday, I tried to play sick. I didn't want to go back to school. Not at all. Susan made me go, however. I walked the halls with my hood on and my hair down.

When I sat down in back of French class, I saw Kyle and his friends talking about prom night. Apparently he got drunk and then him and Amelia left the event and slept together.

I didn't want to accept it. I wouldn't. But eventually I did. Trapped in my feelings. There was no distraction to mask what was real.

He would never love me...