Dreams and Drama

Kyle
Two weeks had passed since I last saw Mandala. For the first time in my life, I was grieving. I lied down in my bunk on the bus, thinking about the first and last time we had kissed. Those gorgeous olive green eyes came into my mind. When I dozed off, I started dreaming.

I was alone with Manda, and we were walking together in the wild. It looked like Hawaii, or maybe the Bahamas. We held hands as we walked barefoot. Both of us were smiling and kissing.

"I love you, Kyle." she turned around, her back to me. She started running and I ran after her until we were both on the beach. She trailed around the rocks and then dove in face first.

She didn't come up for a long time, and I started to get worried. Then she peeped out of the water slowly, and I noticed she was still completely dry. Still in that beautiful sundress, but there was a round bump on her stomach. I ran to her, bent down and kissed it.

.......

I woke up the next morning and jumped out of my bunk. I was stuck on my dream all morning. Sure, it was a little cliche considering my best mate was currently the one who was expecting a baby. However, the thought of having a life with Manda was becoming something I wanted more and more...

That night after another gig, I sat around in a hotel room with Dan. We were both on our phones when mine rang. It was Manda, and I didn't hesitate to answer.

"Hey, Mans! What's up!"

"Not a damn thing, Kyle. It's all great." she sounded furious.

"Mans, what's wrong, baby?"

"Your ex, Kyle! She knows about us, and she's not happy with you or me!"

My heart was pounding. "What happened, Manda?"

"She came into the pharmacy today and asked my boss to speak with me. We stepped outside because I didn't know who she was at first. Then she slapped me in the face and called me a tramp!"

"Oh shit! Oh God, I'm so sorry. What happened after that?" My nerves were shot.

"She explained why she was angry and I realized that was her. I told her that none of it was my fault but she wasn't having any of it. She slapped me again, and so I punched her and it just kept going."

"Shit. I'm so so sorry, Mandala. Are you okay?"

"No. My coworkers came out and pulled us off each other, and I almost got fired. I have bruises on my face, but she has a busted lip."

"Oh Mandala, is there anything I can do for you?!"

"Do you still have her number?"

"I might, why?"

"I want you to call her and explain to her that it was you that chose to leave her, and I had nothing to do with it!"

"Mans, it's not that simple. You were the reason we broke up!"

"You made your decision Kyle! I only hit her back because she wouldn't leave me alone and I've had enough physical abuse in my lifetime."

"Okay, I'll talk to her." I said.

"Thank you." she said, her voice calming down.

"I love you, Mandala. I'm so sorry that this happened. I still don't know how she knows about us."

"She said she went through all your text messages while you were still together."

"Great." I mumbled. "But that reminds me, are you ready to tell people about us?"

"I've only told one of my friends. I plan to tell my mum when she gets home from the diner."

"That's good. I told my parents, and they're both thrilled. They still remember you, clearly."

"They're great people, Kyle. Your whole family is."

I smiled silently. "Okay, go tell your mum. I'll call you tomorrow. Get some sleep, Mans. I love you."

"I love you too."

Manda

I heard my mother pull in as soon as I hung up. I was quick to cover up the bruises with foundation I borrowed out of her bathroom. I sat on the couch with two cups of tea and a plate of biscuits on the table.

"Mandala, Mummy's home!"

"Right here, Mum!" I said. Pressing my hand against my face, I winced at the soreness of the bruises. They would be there for days.

She walked over and hugged me from behind. She seemed to be in a rather good mood. Genuinely, she was, but always weighed down by business management and old age.

"Mum, please sit down. You've had a stressful day. I made tea for you."

"Tea would be great, sweetheart. Thank you!"

"Just looking out for my mother. Plus I have some news."

"What is it?" she smiled.

I took a deep breath. "I'm sort of seeing someone now."

"Really? Who?"

"He's sort of a professional pianist."

She smiled. "That's nice, what is his name?"

"Do you remember my friend Kyle from highschool?"

"A little bit. I remember his parents well, though. His mother was a great friend of mine."

"Okay. It's him. I'm with Kyle."

She froze. "That's amazing, Mandala. How is the young man?"

"Great. He's so tall and manly now, and very caring and gentle around me."

"Where is he now?"

"He's out of town for his job. He travels a lot, but he makes a lot of money."

"He sounds wonderful." she said. "I can't wait to meet him."

"Great," I said. Not great. She would scare him away forever!

.......

When I got out of the shower, I texted Kyle.

Me: I told my mother, it went better than I thought

Kyle: Great, Mandie! I'm glad

Me: How's touring?

Kyle: It's alright. How's your face?

Me: It hurts very much. Did you talk to her yet?

Kyle: I sent her a message after she declined 2 calls. I'm really sorry about what happened Mans. It's all my fault.

Me: No it's not, honey. I know how it feels to be dropped for someone else. She was hurt.

Kyle: You're so sweet. I would be talking crap about her right now if she hit me.

Me: It's not like she has any power over me.

Kyle: Yeah you're right.

Me: I'll talk to you tomorrow. I love you, Kyle.

Kyle: I love you more, Mandie😘