A Partridge In A Pear Tree

In which Phil faints and Dan freaks out.

Content warnings: Small panic attack, small mention of death.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dan's POV

I walked into the living room, an empty packet in my hands.

"Phil, did you eat my cereal - again?!"

"No... Maybe... Okay yes. And it was delicious!" Phil smiled up at me from his position on the couch.

"Well if you're eating mine, then surely I can help myself to your cereal."

Phil looked up in panic, "No, wait..."
He stood up and ran after me into the hallway.

Then he stopped and stared into the distance - as if confused.

"Phil? What's up with you?" I walked back to him in alarm as his head started to lull.

I watched as his eyes rolled back in his head and he fell backwards, and I leapt into action to catch him.

He was difficult to hold up, but I managed to slowly bring his body down onto the floor safely.

It was then that it dawned on me what had happened.

"Phil? Phil!"

My heart pounded in my chest as worry coursed through my veins, and I started to hyperventilate.

Was he going to die?

No, he just fainted. He's okay.

But fainting always has a cause!

My mind was dragged back to reality by the figure in front of me starting to stir, groaning as his eyes were met with the bright lights above his head.

"Phil! You're okay!" I grabbed his hand and held it tightly in mine.

"Yeah... I'm fine." He sat up and leaned his back against the wall, wondering what had happened.

"You fainted. You need to go to hospital now - something might be wrong - I'll take you."

"No, Dan. It's okay." He frowned as he saw how flustered I was, and looked down at my hand still holding his.

"Dan, you're shaking."

"I'm fine. Focus on you."

"No, Dan. You look like you're about to cry. I'm okay."

I lowered my head in response, taking my hand away from his.

"Look, just breathe, okay?" Phil took a few slow breaths in and out, and then I followed along, closing my eyes as I focused on calming my anxiety.

After about ten minutes of slow breathing, I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around my torso.

"I'll go to the hospital if it makes you feel better."

"Thank you."