New Kids pt. 3 (Prinxiety/Logicality)

Patton and Logan sat next to each other on the bus.

"Are you excited for school?" Patton asked, ready to bombard his new friend with as many questions as he could think of.

"I suppose," Logan answered. "I've always looked forward to it in the past. Although Deceit describes it as a figurative 'hellhole,' so I'm not sure how to feel about it."

Patton frowned, thinking to himself. "Well, he does call himself 'Deceit' for a reason," Patton thought aloud. "I don't think there's much to worry about. Besides, there won't be anything to worry about because I'm sure we'll make loads of new friends and they'll help us out if something bad happens, right?"

"I've never been great at making friends," Logan admitted. "I didn't really have all that many at my old school. I was always more focused on my academics over my social standing."

"Well, yeah, grades are important, but I'd rather talk to people, you know?" Patton explained. "People can always surprise you. They're never boring." He sighed. "I'm one of the most attentive people I know and I still catch myself trying not to fall asleep if I'm just sitting there listening to someone drone on and on about the same thing."

"I understand that," Logan said. "I suppose that learning every tidbit of information I can absorb is much more interesting to me than a conversation I'll forget about in two hours."

"That's fair," Patton frowned. "But there's always the conversations that stick with you, too. I usually don't dwell much on stuff I said to, say, my mom this morning. But I've got a feeling that you and I are going to have some very... what's the word... I dunno, but I've got the feeling we're going to have some conversations that stick with us."

"I have no idea why, Patton," Logan started, "But I got the same exact feeling as you." They smiled at one another and fell into a comfortable silence.

After a few minutes without talking, Patton spoke up again. "Hey, do you by any chance know how to get around the school? I just realized I'm going to be totally lost."

"Of course. I've got a map, just a second..." Logan dug in the front pocket of his pants and pulled out a world map.

"Wrong one," Patton smiled. "Do you just carry one of those with you?"

Logan blushed. "Well, I tend to get into rather ridiculous debates with people. I normally have one in case I've got to make a point. I dislike losing." He dug around a second longer after shoving the world map back inside and pulled out a map of the school.

"Thank you so much! I'll take a picture of it, if you don't mind. Say, what's your schedule?" Patton asked as he pulled out his phone to snap a photo of the map.

"My homeroom teacher is... Let me check... Mrs. Ortega," Logan said, reading off his schedule.

"Really? Thank goodness, she's mine, too. I didn't wanna be all alone on my first day here," Patton sighed in relief, letting out a breath he hadn't noticed he'd been holding.

Logan couldn't help but notice that the boy sitting next to him was positively adorable, precious, and innocent. He vowed to himself to maintain that innocence to the best of his own ability. After all, what would the world have come to if there was nobody like Patton around? "You know what, Patton? I'm very glad that I met you," Logan smiled at his new friend.

The adorable teenager beamed back. "You really are? I'm really happy I met you, too," he said cheerfully.

-

Logan and Patton had had to make their way across the entirety of the school to get to her room, which Logan found slightly infuriating, but Patton enjoyed the opportunity to use the long walk as an excuse to keep talking. Mostly about nonsense, but Logan found himself listening to every word.

"...and I just feel like it would be so cool to get abducted by aliens, you know? You could explore the furthest corners of the universe!" Patton exclaimed happily.

"I suppose it would be interesting, but also rather terrifying," Logan said. "I mean, yes, you would be learning about how other life forms operate and you would get to see space, but to be honest, most of space looks the same," ha rambled. "And wouldn't aliens only abduct humans to use them as figurative lab rats?"

"Well, yeah, obviously you'd get experimented on," Patton rolled his eyes. "But what about when they're done with that? They'd just bring you back home, right? Or maybe they'd keep you and teach you about their culture and that would be awesome!"

"Hmm. I always assumed that once aliens were finished performing experiments on you they would release you into space to freeze or be spaghettified in a black hole or perhaps they would simply kill you," Logan said thoughtfully. "There wouldn't really be any reason to keep you around seeing as you've served your purpose as a test subject, and they wouldn't bring you back home because other humans would probably attack and then there would be a galactic war and that wouldn't be the most pleasant."

"How often do you think about being abducted by aliens?" Patton giggled. "You seem to have put quite a bit of thought into it."

"I'm simply thinking logically about it. If I were an alien who decided to abduct random humans, I wouldn't keep them around and I certainly wouldn't bring them back home," Logan explained.

"Why is that?"

He sighed. "Well, I wouldn't want them to tell anybody possibly top-secret information about my colony, or whatever it's called, that they may have discovered without my knowing and-"

"Is this the right room?" Patton cut him off suddenly. Logan glanced at the map and nodded.

"This should be it." Logan suddenly felt a fluttery sensation building up in his stomach. What was that? he thought to himself before shaking his head and stepping into the classroom with Patton.