He's Got Purple Eyes

I can't really focus at all.

My hands are shaky, breathing uneven, stomach jumping around.

I had a rather large granola bar sitting in my hand. It had two bites and it, and I don't think I can eat the entire thing. I turn it around in my hands, looking for the nutritional value and ingredients list. Roughly 140 calories. Oats, mainly sugar.

Sugar gives you energy, right?

I force myself to take another bite, a bigger one, from the granola bar.

I feel my stomach turn, and I'm about 97% sure it's my jumping nerves, or maybe I'm just not that hungry.

Which it partially true. Sometimes I just get used to skipping a few meals, since there's no money left to buy food. And after a while of not eating, you kind of get used to it. Then when you finally get something to eat, it gets hard to. Your stomach can't handle so much food at a time after it's been deprived of it for a while.

I learned that the hard way.

I swallow the piece, and then I hear the bathroom door swing open.

I hear my breath hitch, and I inch my knees closer to my chest, as if the stall door I was in, which was locked, wasn't enough of a barrier.

Then a crowd of girls rush in, and I hear sneakers and combat boots against the tile of the bathroom floor.
I didn't want to listen to their gossiping, so I shoved what was left of the granola bar, which was mostly the same since I had opened it, in my pocket, flushed the toilet as a ploy, saying "hell yeah I was doing my business in the bathroom, no I wasn't here for most of the lunch hour."

I open the stall door, and all of a sudden, the girls' quiet chattering came to a halt. I didn't make any eye contact as I walked to one of the faucets to wash my hands, but I could feel their eyes on me. I hesitantly glance in their direction, and I know quickly that they are not in the hero courses, 1-A or 1-B.

They all looked at me funny. I couldn't put my finger on it, so I just quietly wipe my hands on the side of my P.E. uniform.

As I head out, I hear "Does she really deserve to be in the hero course? Especially 1-A?"

I let the door close behind, and I stand there, letting the words sink in.

I wander around for a bit, plenty of time left before the lunch hour.

"Maybe I don't."
.

"Oh, [Last Name]!" A voice calls.

I turn around, and there stands Yaoyorozu, along with Jirou. I glance at a clock nearby and realized we only had about ten minutes left.

"Oh...hi." I say tentatively.

"Can you come with us please? I was just informed that we had to change into cheerleading uniforms." Yaoyorozu says, reaching out for my arm.

"Wait, we what-" I wince at her hand, which made contact with my forearm.

And it's not her fault--hell, it didn't even hurt--I just don't like contact. Or maybe it's not that--I'm just scared someone's going to hurt me. Even if I know well enough Yaoyorozu would never, I just can't help it.

I don't think she noticed, and if she did, she said nothing. She just dragged me, Jirou, too. She didn't want anything to do with a cheerleading uniform. Personally, I didn't mind, but what I did mind was being in a cheerleading uniform in front of what seems like all of Japan, which it may as well be, this whole thing was being broadcasted.
.

We all walk out, and I feel kind of silly. Oh, man, I knew this was a bad idea.

I try to ignore some of the scars running throughout my slightly exposed belly. Thanks, stupid cropped shirt.