It's A Lot More Than A Simple Race

"H-haru!" I cry, then glance nervously at the crab on the table, enjoying his new home.

"[Name], I'm sorry, but he looked lonely, and I didn't want to leave him!" Haru objects, and I am unsure of what to do.

I have to get to school in order to prep for the event, Haru and my mother are going to watch the broadcast of it. And I'm being held back because of a crab.

"You know, just find somewhere else to put it, I have to get to school.." I sigh, pulling my hair into a pony tail.

"[Name]!" My mother cries, gaining my attention.

"Good luck, be careful... these kids, they have such quirks..." She trails off, griping my hand.

"Yeah.." I say, uneasy myself on all of this.

"[Name], you're going to win this, right?!" Haru asks, and I don't know how to answer.

"I'll try, Haru. I'm competing against my classmates, plus more classes of people I don't know. But I promise, I'll try, for you and Mom, okay?" I say, rubbing his head, messing up his hair.

"Okay!"
.

All classes in the first year stage are shoved into a waiting room, ours being labeled '1-A.' The class everyone wants to defeat. The class everyone despises and associates our class with the word 'arrogance.'

We all sit in there, some chatting amongst themselves, others pacing, others mentally preparing themselves, some physically.

I, myself, happen to be panicking a little.

There's nothing more onerous than having a sports festival determine your future as a hero. Then the fact that you are in the top class for first years, and the stakes couldn't be higher.

And here I am, biting the inside of my cheek, fiddling with my shoelaces.

I don't even notice that Todoroki, the one who seems more composed than most of us, the one who got in through recommendation, the one with two quirks welded into one, walk up to Izuku, at least until he speaks up and says "If I'm looking at this objectively, I can beat you."

At this point, most of my classmates had already noticed, but my ears had barely perked up.

"Oh... yeah.." Izuku agrees, and I have the sudden urge to slap both of them. Todoroki, because I see no point of announcing this. I am aware, that at this point, in this situation, we are all up against each other.

Each one of us is fighting our way to the top, to be the best, to win this.

But it is more of an unspoken thing, if you ask me.

And Izuku, because he needs to stop underestimating himself, before anything and anyone else.

"I know All Might is looking out for you, and I won't pry, but I know I can beat you." Todorki adds, and I'm lost.

"Oh, what's this? Is the strongest trying to declare war too?" Kaminari asks, and I whisper to myself, "Another one?"

"Hey, hey! Why're you trying to start something now of all times!?" Kirishima asks frantically, placing a hand on Todoroki's shoulder.

"We're not here to make friends!" Todoroki smacks Kirishima's hand away, walking in the opposite direction, then adds, "So why would it matter?"

"Todorki." Izuku starts, and said boy stops in his tracks.

"I don't know what you mean by what you said, and of course, you're better than me. And most people, too.. And if I was to look at this objectively..."